Veronica's Reviews > The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories

The Apple by Michel Faber

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: owned-books
Read in July, 2012

These short stories were very interesting. After finishing "The Crimson Petal and the White," I wanted more about Sophie and Sugar and William. Suffice to say I just wanted more. Faber has said countless times that he will not write a sequel and that seems to be his final decision. In the introduction, he gives some very logical reasons and I finally see from his point of view.

I was surprised by how many different characters were featured in these stores. We see Sugar twice I believe, Clara, and even William. Though this is in no way a sequel, we do find out the future of some of the characters. William has gotten remarried and most of us could predict to whom it would be. The very last story even gives a glimpse, though brief, of Sophie.

I didn't feel as connected to these stories as I did to "The Crimson Petal and the White" when I read it. I missed the quirky writing style of the book and the "oh reader, look this way" or "oh reader, you don't need to see that person again." It was a sort of bantering with the reader and I really enjoyed that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apple.

07/16/2012 page 25
13.0% "It's weird reading short stories about multiple characters instead of a narrative mostly about Sugar & William Rackman. Very interesting though and the writing style is the same as from The Crimson Petal and the White."
show 1 hidden update…