Stephenie's Reviews > Fifty Shades Trilogy

Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James

Jul 16, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

Its been awhile since I've written a review and the reason why is because I was caught up in the whole Fifty Shades Trilogy... That's right you heard me, I was head over heels for Christian Grey. My friend Rachel would say I'm a consumers dream. They talk about it and I buy it. What can I say, I'm a sucker when it comes to good marketing.So when people, magazines and newspapers started raving about Fifty Shades I had to go out and buy it.

I already had a good idea what the books were about but I really didn't know what to expect as this isn't really my typical type of book I read. I'm a huge YA fan and at the time I was getting bored of reading about the next adventure the Faery Queen was getting up too.
I wanted something with a bit of heat and lots 'oh my!' moments. Yes, I wanted a bit of 'Kinky fuckery'.

Fifty as we all know was created and inspired by the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. So instead of Bella Swan, we have Anastasia Steele and in place of Edward Cullen we have Christian Grey. No longer is it a story about vampires and werewolves, it's a story about a young woman who embarks on a sexual journey with a heartthrob billionaire CEO, Christian Grey, who might I add has a dark and steamy secret.

Now I am not going to go to much into the plot because lets admit it, everyone knows exactly what this book is about and if you don't then where have you been living this past few months?!

Quite frankly, the writing was poor. There was so much repetitiveness going on and overuse of phrases such as "my inner goddess", "Stop biting your lip" and "kinky fuckery", it drove me crazy by the end of the third book.

A lot of people have been complaining about the BDSM aspect of the story but come on... who seriously knows exactly what is involved in a BDSM relationship? not me and I don't really care to be honest. I don't want all the technical details about it. I want some hot and sexy action that gets me flustered!

The characters need a lot of work. Both Ana and Christian aren't exactly your best role models for women and men out there. I don't know why everyone is complaining about it though no one should be looking for role models in a book about a BDSM relationship!

Despite all the criticism this series has received, EL James has created a book to appeal to women's fantasies. You have to have an open mind when reading it. This is definitely not the book for you If you take life to seriously.
For me, I was addicted to the first book and I was caught up in the mystery of Christian Grey however by end of the trilogy, I was glad the whole story was over. Some of it was getting a little unbearable but overall I was glad to have read it and I can't wait until the start casting the characters for the movie. I'm sure everyone will have their opinion and a whole new debate will form.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Trilogy.