Samina ~ Escapism~'s Reviews > Monster in My Closet

Monster in My Closet by R.L. Naquin

Jul 24, 12

Read from July 16 to 17, 2012

My ratings: 2.75 out of 5 stars
Zoey wakes up to find the her childhood nightmare come alive, in the form of the monster in her closet. Instead of terrifying her with his sharp teeth and claws he is sitting in her living room calming drinking tea. Turns out the monster she thought she had seen in her closet that night had been real and was now back to seek help from her. He is having trouble with his wife so he is homeless and wants to live in her house for a few days. Being the kind hearted person she is she allows him but little does she now what she had enrolled into. Out come the Hidden who have been there all along but out of her sight. Turns out like her mother she is an em path who can tunes into other people's emotions and has this irresistible urge to help them. But now she has unwillingly become the target of a Incubus who want to suck her soul away.

When with the quirky cover Monster in my closet failed to hold my interest. It started off nicely but along the way I felt it went slightly pear shaped. I really enjoyed the inner monologue and the author seems to have a really good sense of humour but it was the plot which failed it. A lot of characters were introduced but I felt they were not required in the grater plot and the dialogue between them felt boring and repetitive.The Monster in the closet, Maurice, hardly had a concrete role in the story. Okay this may sound like a negative review but it's not.

As I said before it had everything, a funny heroine, good side character which may need further development, a hot love interest and a sick villain. Yeah, I really disliked Sebastian, our soul sucking Incubus. Reading about him made me feel slimy and creepy. Riley was executed quite well. I think he has a lot more to give to the story so I'm hoping to see more of him. I just wish the execution was done slightly better. Will I pick the next book in this series? I'm not sure. I can see the potential as there were great moments where I laughed out aloud but the story as a whole not exciting enough for me. It could have been so much better but it wasn't.

“No need to panic. Monster love panic. They slurp panic through a crazy straw and make gross sucking noises.”

Releases 30th July, 2012

ARC provided by Carina Press via NetGalley

Read more of my reviews at my blog Escapism from Reality
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster in My Closet.

07/16/2012
25.0% "Quite an easy read so far."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I saw this at NG. It looked interesting. Is this the author's debut work? Btw nice review, Samina!

Samina ~ Escapism~ Thanks Anna, I think it may be her debut novel.The cover is really quirky.LOL

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) The cover attracted my attention. The blurb turned me off. : / Your book description is better. LOL

Samina ~ Escapism~ It was not what it seemed liked. I'm really disappointed as it could have been so much better but it was boring and I skimmed through a lot of pages.