Sonia's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Aug 18, 12

Read from July 16 to 19, 2012

Back at the start of the year, I kept seeing posters for this on the Tube. I thought that they were quite intriguing, but with my ever-growing ‘To Read’ pile, I just stuck it on my wishlist to remind me later and didn’t think any more of it.

Strangely, I then read Hollowland without making the connection that it was by the same author.

I ended up buying it when it was just 69p from Amazon – and it was more than worth every penny :D Although I didn’t originally buy it with my (now) 13 year old daughter in mind, it became clear from the start that she would enjoy it. I mean, what young girl doesn’t secretly harbour the dream that their parents aren’t REALLY their parents, and that some day they will turn up, ready to whisk them away to a better life – preferably one where they are rich…or even better, a princess!

This is the basis for Switched – it’s a proper modern day fairytale.

Wendy Everly has always felt that she doesn’t quite fit in. Not just at school, but also with her family – nothing bringing that feeling to her more than when her mother tried to kill her when she was just six years old, claiming that she had been switched at birth and was no child of hers.

When her mother is put into a mental institution, Wendy and her ever-protective brother end up living with their aunt. We join her as a moody teen – never quite able to cope with High School, so she has been thrown out of a few of them. She has a bit of a temper problem, and is rather disconcerted that occasionally people seem to do what she ‘wills’ them to.

And then cute, mysterious Finn turns up at school, and her whole world is turned upside-down. He informs her that although hard to believe, she isn’t even actually human. She isa changeling. A troll. No, she doesn’t have green skin or anything, but they are both from a race called Trylle, and she isn’t just any Trylle, she is heir to the throne. And it is time for her to come home.

This series seems to divide readers – and if I wasn’t easily swayed by a pretty cover (go on – judge me!), I may not have actually read it for myself.

However, I am so glad I did. If you suspend disbelief (this is a fairytale!!) and read it with an open mind, it’s a lovely, easy-to-read story. And is full of hidden morals of being true to yourself, not changing for anyone and trusting your instincts. It is a perfect YA book, and I reckon my girl will love it.

It’s like a ‘lighter’ side of Twilight, without all the sullen, gothy teenagers. There’s still a bit of ‘first romance’ angst, but nothing like the awful Bella / Edward stuff!

It’s not the best written book in the world, but the characters are believable enough, and it is a very quick read. Real escapism – if that’s your thing! I immediately bought the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.