Jill's Reviews > An Affair to Dismember

Sep 21, 14

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, 2013-debuts
Read in January, 2013

Debut

Gladie Burger has been a matchmaker-in-training for three months. Convinced that Gladie has the 'gift', her grandmother Zelda has brought Gladie into her business, Zelda's Matchmaking Services. But after three months and no matches, Gladie's not convinced. When one of her neigbours dies, Gladie stumbles into what looks like a case of murder.

With the dead man's strange family to contend with and hunting down his former colleagues, Gladie is pitched headfirst into an investigation where there are too many suspects. Coming up against the handsome, new police chief, Spencer Bolton and her mysterious and gorgeous, new neighbour, Arthur Holden, Gladie's life is suddenly busy.

Set in the small mountain town of Cannes, California this is a well-written and pretty funny contemporary mystery with a side of romantic-love-triangle. Gladie becomes the bone two dogs are fighting over. With her two girlfriends Bridget, an accountant and Lucy, a marketer, her grandmother, Zelda and a host of secondary characters, there's a lot to love here.

The blurb says this will appeal to fans of Janet Evanovich and I think that's an accurate statement. It does have that crazy, light-hearted feel to it like the Stephanie Plum novels. Gladie, the heroine has a great voice. The narrative, dialogue, and characters are fun and humourous. The mystery is satisfying (I had no clue. But no surprises there.) And though there is a love triangle, it does keep things pretty interesting.

Overall, An Affair to Dismember is an enjoyable, funny mystery that I liked a lot.

Steam: 1.5-2

ARC courtesy of Ballantine via Edelweiss

11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Affair to Dismember.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) The title sounds like a zombie HR. LOL

Jill Anna wrote: "The title sounds like a zombie HR. LOL"

Lol! It does, Anna. When I picked this one up I thought it was going to be a zombie historical! But no, it's a contemporary mystery.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Hmmm. A book cover will give a better sense of this book. Well, maybe. : /

message 4: by Wendy (last edited Jul 29, 2012 04:14PM) (new)

Wendy Hehe, it does sound like a zombie Anna.

Jill Wendy wrote: "Hehe, it does sound like a zombie Anna.

Can't wait for your review on this one Jilly, just so the our curiosity is satisfied."

Hi Wen, I'll post in a month or so, closer to release date.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Nicely said, Jill.

Jill Kristen wrote: "Nicely said, Jill."

Thanks Kristen!

message 8: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Nice review, Jilly:)!

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nice, review, Jill!

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill @ KatLynne & Jessica
Thankyou!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Jill :)

message 13: by Richa (new)

Richa Great review, Jill!! :))

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill @ Baba, Blacky & Richa
Thankyou!

Rachel the Book Harlot Lovely review, Jill!

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Huh. Sounds like it could be a fun read, and something a little different. I don't usually like love triangles, but I do like Janet Evanovich's sense of humor (even though I stopped reading her Plum series after book 10, due to the endless love triangle, as we talked about earlier). Good review, Jill!

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Rachel wrote: "Lovely review, Jill!"

@ Thanks Rach! (Surprise, surprise I didn't get a notification of your comment!)

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Huh. Sounds like it could be a fun read, and something a little different. I don't usually like love triangles, but I do like Janet Evanovich's sense of humor (even though I stopped reading her Plu..."

@ Thanks Kathleen!
I think if you enjoy the humour in SP then you'd enjoy this. I don't mind this triangle or any really, as long as it's not draaaaagged out! :)

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Yes, it's the dragging out and the wishy-washy back-and-forthness that I don't like in love triangles a lá Stephanie Plum. I may try this one when I'm in the mood!