Eunice's Reviews > Speechless

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Sep 15, 2012

bookshelves: arc-netgalley-edelweiss, contemporary, young-adult, ya-romance, favourites, out-2012, realistic-fiction, taught-me-lessons
Read from August 26 to 27, 2012

Speechless is one remarkable and outstanding novel that handled a very insightful issue with great depth and profundity in it. I'm amazed by how Hannah Harrigton effectively wrote Chelsea's story that would make every readers understand the situation, the characters, the consequences and see the lessons and messages behind it.

Chelsea at first wasn't a very likable character. She's shallow, indifferent and yes, doesn't know when to shut her mouth. That was until it caused a terrible and heavy consequences and she vowed to never speak again. I love how Harrigton wrote her character, she was so flawed but was very realistically written. Her character definitely bugged me in so many ways but when bad things started happening to her it was so easy to sympathize with her situation. Although that didn't mean I trusted her right away. But as she bit by bit realized stuff and things, as she gradually grew, changed and developed I started to really appreciate and love her character too.

Every aspect of her development was well hightighted. I love how it was efficiently carried thus helping the readers to completely relate and understand the repercussion of Chelsea's actions (as well as the other characters) and how it had affected her. Hannah Harrigton is definitely a great writer for being able to really reach me with Chelsea's story.

The secondary characters were one of the best parts of this book. Asha, Sam, Andy, Lou and Dex were all great characters and definitely appealing. I love that they were the kind of seconday characters that weren't forgettable. The scenes with them; the banters and dialogues were so fun and amusing to read. The romance was also a very lovely and sweet one. I love how Sam and Chelsea's realtionship developed, it was gradual and slow but really adorable and cute and sweet. Haha!

If you enjoyed Hannah Harrigton's Saving June I'm sure you're gonna love this one. Harrigton wrote an amazing realistic story with flawed yet totally relate-able character and with so much depth and insights. The writing is splendid and flowed so easily. And the development of the story as well as the characters is impressive. This is a very worthy read. I recommend this.

*Thank you Netgalley and HarlequinTeen for the review copy.

This review is also posted at Book Overdose
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speechless.

08/26/2012 page 63
22.0% "Why are high school dramas always so frustrating? O.o" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Laura Eunice! Hey You! So happy you loved this one! Harrington has such a great style. She sneaks right in my heart somehow. Wonderful review! :)

Eunice Thank you, Laura! I just saw your review of this too and I can see that she really did. So glad you enjoyed it too. :)

♥Rachel♥ I didn't like Chelsea at first either Eunice, she grew on me though. When she starting realizing how her actions and words hurt other people, that's when I started liking her. I also loved the secondary characters in this, they were so well done. Great review Eunice. :)

Eunice The secondary characters really made this book more interesting and fun to read. Thank you, Rachel! :)

Jasprit Such a beautiful review Eunice, Harrington has such a unique way of writing which I adore, you're review has managed to capture just how talented and awesome this book was! Hannah we need more of your books soon!

message 6: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hazel (Stay Bookish) Lovely review! I haven't read this one yet. Is it better than Harrington's Saving June? :)

Eunice Jasprit wrote: "Such a beautiful review Eunice, Harrington has such a unique way of writing which I adore, you're review has managed to capture just how talented and awesome this book was! Hannah we need more of y..."

Thank you, Jasprit! Me too, there's just something about her writing that really brings us to the story and the characters. Yes, more books of Hannah, please! XD

Eunice Hazel wrote: "Lovely review! I haven't read this one yet. Is it better than Harrington's Saving June? :)"

Thanks Hazel! Oooh, I can't really say if it's better since they're quite different. Both were just as exceptionally written. I'm sure your gonna love this too. :)

Eunice Sam wrote: "Perfect review, Eunice! I felt pretty much the same way with this book, even though the beginning was a little painful to get through. I can't wait to see what else Harrington has in store for us i..."

Thank you, Sam! Oh yes, all those high school dramas and bullying had me really (quite) seething! Haha! But the characters are just really great and the writing is really wonderful so yeah, I was able to get through it. Haha! :D