Stephanie Ward's Reviews > Nerve

Nerve by Jeanne Ryan

May 06, 14

bookshelves: owned, for-review, to-read
Read in September, 2012

'Nerve' is a taut young adult thriller that follows Vee, our heroine, as she enters the newest online game called NERVE. Seduced by promises of amazing prizes for doing crazy and embarrassing dares and posting them online, Vee takes the plunge - deciding to do something out of character for once. Soon she is sucked into the game and is partnered with the sexy Ian. The pair makes it to the grand prize round, where things become a bit too sadistic and real for Vee's liking. Is NERVE really just a game? How far will the producers go to entertain the Watchers? Will Vee and Ian make it out alive?

After reading 'Nerve', it's hard to believe that this is Jeanne Ryan's debut novel. It is full of twists, mystery, suspense and a bit of romance tossed in for good measure. The idea of NERVE, an online game composed of players doing dares, is a creepy one - especially because it could happen in today's culture. The characters are all very likable and honest, which made them easy to identify with. Vee is the perfect heroine for the book. She is down to earth, honest, and struggles with things in her life that almost all readers have had to go through. I found myself immediately on her side and rooting for her the whole time.

The book is incredibly well written and fast-paced, with the suspense and twists making it a real page turner. The descriptions were detailed and I found it really easy to immerse myself into the narrative - it felt almost like I was playing NERVE right along with Vee and Ian. Speaking of them - the romance between them in the book isn't overly done, which I liked. It was subtle and sweet, which added just the right amount of lightness to the story to help balance out all the craziness going on around them. Overall, I think that this book is an engaging addition to the genre and one that you won't want to miss. I will definitely be reading more of Jeanne's books in the future!

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerve.

05/06/2014 marked as: to-read