Krystal Wade's Reviews > Providence

Providence by Jamie McGuire

Jul 18, 12

Read from July 15 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

I really enjoyed this book. I ran through so many emotions while reading it--even quite a bit of annoyance! The characters were well-defined and rounded. They were good and yet had so many issues. They felt very real, even when the author described their physical appearances so minimally.

I've noticed a lot of jerky love interests in books lately, but Jared Ryel was not one of them. I have to applaud the author for that. I'm sick of reading about guys who "are mean because they love the girl". In some instances it works, but in others ... I think we give REAL girls the wrong impression.

I liked how Nina fought between what she wanted with Jared and what she wanted from a normal life. I think that internal struggle hit home in so many ways.

Now, I battled back and forth with how to rate Providence because the editing in this book was TERRIBLE, but I'm an editor, an author, and an avid reader, so these things bother me; however, I decided to rate Providence for the story, and not because she lacked proper mechanics. The story is what matters, and there were times where the plot was forgotten and the romance was the sole thing she focused on, but in the end, I was RUSHING out to buy the next book.

Good job, Jamie, and congrats on your recent signing with S&S!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Providence.

07/15/2012
07/16/2012
82.0% "Ugh. That doesn't mean I hate the book; I'm frustrated with the book!"