Gregory Ambrose's Reviews > The Abolition of Man

The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis

8193610
Jul 15, 12

Read in July, 2012

Lewis' reasoning and use of logic is impeccable. While he can be a bit wordy at times, he does his best to convey his thoughts to the reader as clearly as possible. Without going into too much detail, Lewis describes the battle between man and nature. He says that every one of man's advances on nature on not quite victories, but tactical retreats by nature herself. It is only by succumbing to nature we can understand it, and we mistakenly believe that having knowledge of nature lets us dominate and conquer it. Unfortunately, it is quite the opposite. By conquering our very own nature, which Lewis says is man's ultimate goal, we are left without a Tao, and therefore nothing to inhibit us from becoming something terrible. When the Tao is abolished, which Lewis describes as the common law, there is no right and wrong. In such a state, the only thing driving conquest and creation is the instinct of man, which is certainly no reliable foundation for the creation of a new and perfect Tao, or lack thereof.

Lewis' works are must reads, and this is no exception.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abolition of Man.