Ashley Gafford's Reviews > Hooked

Hooked by Liz Fichera

Jun 09, 13

Read on December 28, 2012

There were two things that immediately drew me into wanting to read HOOKED. The first was the sexy, beautiful cover and hot pink writing and the second was that it was a story with a girl playing with the boys and beating them! Who doesn’t want to read about that? Seriously!

HOOKED is one of those stories that constantly has something going on whether it be drama at home, drama at school, drama on the golf team…yeah, I guess I should mention HOOKED has a lot of DRAMA! Something is always going on in Fred’s life, even though all she wants to do is play golf and find a way to go to college. But as with life, things can never be that simple.

I loved Fred for most of the book. There were a couple of times I wanted to punch her and say, “Don’t let these idiots get to you!” However, most of the time Fred takes things in stride and is a strong character. She’s determined to go to college and do something with her life and realizes that golf is her way out. She is completely dedicated to golf and practices all the time. She knows what’s at stake and works hard on achieving her goals.

Ryan was one of those characters I had a hard time deciding if I liked him or not. In the beginning, I hated him. He had spoiled, rich kid written all over him. However, as the novel progresses, it’s easy to see how Ryan’s character develops into a character that while still flawed is redeemable. Being able to read chapters from Ryan’s perspectives helps see that there is more to his story and allows readers to understand where he’s coming from.

I’ll admit I did get a little frustrated with Ryan and Fred’s relationship. It seemed that their relationship was plagued with one miscommunication after another. Of course, if their relationship got off without a hitch the story wouldn’t have been near as entertaining! Also, I felt the ending was a little rush and I would have liked a few more loose ends to be tied up.

Overall, I thought HOOKED was a great novel. The story deals with some tough issues, racism in particular and also gives readers excellent insight into the world of Native Americans.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hooked.