Stacy's Reviews > Dragon's Bait

201003
Nov 05, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 2

He refused to release her hands until she looked at him again. He smiled, but this time the amusement didn't reach his eys. "It is not often," he said in a voice that was soft and husky but well within the norms of a human of his --apparent-- age and build, "that I find a damsel flinging rocks at me." He paused as though considering and slowly added, "It happened once with a knight, but I'd already eaten his horse and most of his weapons. The squire, too, as I recall." He tipped his head slightly as though waiting for a response, the same gesture he had made while in dragon shape.

Alys has been accused of witchcraft and has been left tied to a stake, an offering to a dragon. Although she manages to escape before the dragon comes, she realizes there is no where for her to go. If she returns to her village, they will simply stake her out again. She a young woman, alone in the world.

When the dragon appears not to notice her, she decides to accept her fate and shouts at him, tossing stones. Suddenly, he is before her and she shuts her eys. When she opens them, the dragon is gone and a boy stands before her, with long golden hair and amethyst eyes . . .

She realizes that the dragon and the boy are the same and tells him her plan for revenge against the villagers who left her out here, and killed her father. The dragon likes revenge and agrees to help her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Bait.