Kary's Reviews > Celtic Run

Celtic Run by Sean Vogel

Jul 16, 12

Read from July 15 to 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this action packed middle grade novel! To be perfectly honest, this was one of those times that you just can't judge a book by its cover. I was sort of expecting something boring to be honest (sorry, Sean!), but I was pulled in right from the beginning! I mean, look at that first chapter excerpt - right off the bat, the main character, Jake, is throwing himself into a life threatening situation! The whole book is like that - full of excitement that kept me wanting to find out what was going to happen next! Really, my only complaint is the cover - I'm just afraid that the cover is not going to attract a middle grade audience. It needs to be a bit flashier...I'm thinking a picture of all 4 kids - Jake, Maggie, Julie, and Zach in the middle of one of their adventures.

I thought Vogel did a great job with character development. I loved Jake - he obviously loved his father, who was disabled from a horseback riding accident, and felt guilty from the circumstances behind it. He was a normal 14 year old in that he loved to prank his "nemesis" and fellow traveler, Zach, who had what he wanted most - Julie. He fights with his dad over normal things like wanting the latest video game, but really, he is a very thoughtful and caring young man. I also loved Maggie, the young Irish girl that Jake is staying with. She was tough, spunky, and smart.

I was very impressed with Vogel's writing - it was engaging and full of adventure, mystery, humor, and even a little romance. This book would appeal to both boys and girls. I think it's particularly appealing to boys, since the main character is an adventure seeking boy. I think my son will really like this book in a year or so (he's 9 now.) I would highly recommend this book to kids about 10 and up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celtic Run.