Fictitious Delicious's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-jen

Review originally posted on www.fictitiousdelicious.com on 07/17/12:

I knew I would love this book before I even started it simply due to the fact that it’s written by Sarah Rees Brennan. But I didn’t know I would LOVE it as much as I did. (SIDENOTE: I met Sarah at RT in Chicago this spring and “accidentally” blurted out that I wanted to BE her. She laughed at the proclamation, but inwardly I think she wanted to run. I am ever the professional.)

So, UNSPOKEN.

This is not a light hearted romantic comedy about a girl and her imaginary friend come to life frolicking in fields of colorful wildflowers. Oh no, no, no. This book has a dark, gothic feel. The imagery is vivid and I had to wrap myself in a blanket during 90 degree temperature to ward off the chill it gave me. There are secrets galore, mystery in places you wouldn’t suspect, blood (of the fresh and dried variety), and above all…humor.

Between the seriousness of the situation our friends in Sorry-in-the-Vale find themselves in, Brennan throws in these fantastic bits of humor that results in “laughing out loud” and good old fashioned knee slapping. One of my new favorite lines can be found in this book. It’s a line about hips and the devil. You’ll know it when you see it.

Kami Glass is everything a great heroine should be. She’s strong, independent, smart and a little self-degrading. (Hey, what can I say? I feel comforted when strong girls feel a little insecure sometimes.) The Lynburn’s are creeeepy. And kind of delicious. The secondary characters, Angela in particular, held my interest and made me want to know even more about them.

My one complaint is of a technical nature and may have to do with the fact that my read was an ARC. The story is told in third person point of view with the focus alternating between the two main characters. The transitions were sometimes clumsy. My wee brain got confused when one paragraph in a scene ended with the focus on one character and the next paragraph started with the focus on the other character in the same scene moments earlier. (SIDENOTE: I now have a technical complaint about this review. Long, run-on sentences, much?)

Oh, and let’s not forget THAT ENDING! As I said to my friend Janette, I’d suggest that you start slapping yourself in the face now to prepare yourself for the pain you’ll feel. But it hurts SO GOOD and will leave you desperate to get your hands on book two of the Lynburn Legacy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.