Laurie's Reviews > The Radiance

The Radiance by John       Robinson

An elite panel of specialists joins together under the leadership of Cale Walker, a wealthy entrepreneur, to study a perplexing phenomenon they call The Radiance. Over the course of just a few years most of Earth’s population has become smarter. The cause is undetermined, and it is unknown if the mental improvements will be temporary or permanent.

As the story begins Cale’s brother, Travis is a near-broke farmer struggling to hold onto his farm. His childhood friend and ranch hand Lester has always been mechanically inclined even though he is no mental giant. Lester, though, miraculously undergoes a transformation that Travis never expects and is at a loss to explain. Later Travis undergoes a similar experience when he discovers he has learned an entire new language over the course of a few short hours.

Travis receives a summons from his estranged older brother and ends up reluctantly joining The Radiance Group. As frightening projections about the breakdown of societal structure become reality the group quietly prepares for the worse.

This unusual, thought-provoking story is entertaining and well-told. At times it stretched my capacity to suspend disbelief to its limits, but still, I anxiously clicked through my kindle screens because I had to find out how the story would end. The ending was satisfactory, but certainly left me craving a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Radiance.