Clay's Reviews > Mastiff

Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: sf-fantasy
Read in September, 2011

Tamora Pierce is one of my favorite young adult authors, but “Mastiff” (Random House, $18.99, 581 pages), the conclusion of the Beka Cooper series, is the weakest novel of hers I’ve read.

In addition, it took a long time for her to deliver “Mastiff,” and the delay didn’t seem to help her any. The plot creaks audibly, even for a young adult effort, and the succession of hairbreadth escapes and implausible rescues pile on one another until the willing suspension of disbelief finally hangs by a single, frayed thread.

In any event, “Mastiff” concludes the adventures of Beka Cooper, a young detective in a magic-ridden society based on a slave economy. Cooper herself has some extrasensory skills (she can talk to the dead who inhabit the bodies of pigeons for a short time after their death, and also communicates with dust devils), and she’s a very accomplished fighter despite her youth and size.

Usually Pierce has a nice feel for pacing and plot, and doesn’t telegraph her punches quite as obviously as she does here, but something went wrong with “Mastiff”. Those who have read “Terrier” and “Bloodhound”, the first two in the series, will most likely want to finish it out, but those who have yet to jump in would probably be better off reading her earlier works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastiff.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandee (new)

Sandee Thanks...I am almost done with Bloodhound. I have no problem, after reading your review and those of a similar tone, to end the series after Bloodhound. Thanks for the warning.