Cynthia's Reviews > Resistance. Anita Shreve

Resistance. Anita Shreve by Anita Shreve

F 50x66
Nov 15, 09

Read in November, 2009

I would not have picked this book up from the shelf to read if I had known that it was about WWII. I always find the topic depressing. However, I acquired this book from a swap, and always enjoy a book written by Anita Shreve, and so started reading unaware of the subject mater. As I was settling into the book, was clear that it was about an American pilot, the young boy who had rescued him form the plane crash, and a Belgium woman who was hiding him from the Gestapo. I could have put the book down, and not continued, but I was so drawn to their story of survival and wanting to know if he would ever return home. Would it have a Cinderella ending?
Whenever I’m having a trial period in my life, such as now, I will think of this story, and know that nothing could possible compare to the devastation of WWII victims. The endless, needless torture! Not only the physical pain, but the pain of not knowing what would come next, and where are your loved ones. Even though this was fiction, Claire’s story was felt by someone no doubt. I thought I had courage, but nothing like this woman.
All said, I’m not certain that this is a book I could comfortably recommend to people, even though it is so well written, with a bittersweet ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resistance. Anita Shreve.