alexandra's Reviews > All We Know of Heaven

All We Know of Heaven by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Nov 09, 08

Read in November, 2008

I guess I'm just a sentimental fool, but I absolutely loved this book!!! It details the story of two sixteen-year-old best friends who are in a horrible car accident on a snowy December afternoon. The girls have been best friends forever, and even look a lot alike. When Maureen's Toyota crashes head-on with a long-haul trucker, everyone assumed it was her that arrived at the hospital DOA, and that Bridget is the one in the coma. One set of parents plans a funeral, and the other begins a bedside vigil with the girl they think is their daughter. When dental records show that Maureen is the girl who actually survived, the small Minnesota town in thrown into chaos, with her parents rejoicing their daughter's survival, and Bridget's parents and boyfriend stunned and in inconsolable mourning.

It turns out the Maureen has sustained injuries that have the doctors doubting if she'll ever be able to live anything close to a normal life. But Maury is a fighter, and the last half of the story details her struggles to learn to think & talk, walk, and function on a day-to-day level again. Add to this her confused feelings for Bridget's boyfriend Danny, and his for her. Don't forget about the guilt Maureen feels about being the friend to survive, and Bridget's parents angry reaction towards her.

I could not put this book down, and won't admit how many times it made me cry.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All We Know of Heaven.

11/04/2008 page 50