Howdy YAL 's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

How do I begin to talk about Fallen. I guess I could tell you that the book is about seventy-five percent description and the twenty-five percent of action and character development that the book has is muddled because of this description. Did I say character development? Wait a minute...there was no character development in this book. Just like there was no internal logic or structure to the book.

Let's start with discussing the characters. As I said previously, there is no development when it comes to any of these characters. The most likable out of all of them is the villain and I don't think I'm suppose to like him. As for the main character and her true love well....

Let's talk about Luce. Luce has to be one of the dumbest characters in the genre. She's about on the same wave length as Bethany Church from Halo, though not as sanctimonious which is a plus. A lot of her choices don't make sense. Take for instance, her relationship with Daniel. She is attracted to this guy even though the first thing he does is flip her off. And okay, there have been plenty examples in the genre of a teenage girl loving a douche. It happens all the time. But I don't think it happens at this sort of level. Luce's obsession of Daniel borders on full blown stalker. She breaks into the school records to find out about her "true" love and at this point in the book they might have shared one conversation together if you could even call it a conversation. Okay, so sometimes teens can be stupid about relationships that is understandable (sort of), but Luce should be smarter in other things. But nope, she continually screws up just so that Kate can easily move forward the supposed plot of the novel. For example, she decides to spill her secrets about all the weird things that are going on to a person she's barely talked to. It just doesn't make sense.

As for Daniel, I don't understand why he's this sought after prize. I know he has loved Luce for eternity. But excuse my langue he is a dick. He gives her the bird the first time he sees her, talks to her horribly. And just because he looks like a freaking Armani model he gets off scotch free because of this. And excuse me, if you've been living forever why would you be in a reform school of all places. Wouldn't you be doing something else with your eternal life...like I don't know see the world, save humanity, or do something else useful. Not sit there and go to freaking high school.

Speaking of the setting that brings me to my second point of contention with the book. This book is suppose to take place at a reform school. A place of last chances, so to speak. Besides a harsh orientation, the school isn't that hard core at all. In fact, I'd say that the lack of supervision at Sword and Cross was sort of ridiculous.

Did I mention that the school is suppose to be a home for mentally disturbed students. That's right. However, the way mental illness is handled is deplorable. It's viewed as almost a status thing. Like being mentally ill is a good thing. Plus, despite the fact these kids have serious programs there is not even a psychologist on staff at the school. Yeah...that really makes sense. Just like it makes sense that Luce is at the school in the first place. Throughout the book, the reader gradually learn that Luce was sent to Sword and Cross after the mysterious death of her boyfriend Trevor. There is no direct or for that matter really indirect evidence suggesting that Luce caused Trevor's death, so the notion that she'd get sent to Sword and Cross is a little ridiculous. The sad thing is that plot holes like this aren't uncommon throughout the book. And for that matter the plot itself doesn't even really make sense. I still don't understand much of it. Really, what is Luce's purpose other than to be the stupid, silly, little girl that she is described to be by one of the characters in the book. Oh, wait if she dies the apocalypse is inevitable. But even that could easily be fixed...oh, wait plot hole.

Best Feature: Descriptions. There were way too many of them. If you looked really carefully through them there were a few sentences that were written quite nicely. However, it's really hard to see these sentences because there was just so much muck in this book.

Worst Feature: Cliches. This book was jammed back with cliches. Mary Sue heroine, Insta Love, love triangle, abusive relationship, forbidden love, boarding schools, dead best friends. You named the cliche and Fallen had it. It would've been one thing too if the cliches would've been handled appropriately or used sparingly. But no, when Kate decided to use a cliche. She decided to use a cliche. I've decided to prove my point I'm going to a brief analysis on three cliches.

1. Insta Love: The relationship between Daniel and Luce is instantaneous. There is no build up whatsoever. Even after they get together, we really know nothing about them as a couple. Just that Daniel will tell Luce later about the history between the two of them. And that that the reader is suppose to believe that they're a super couple or something.

2. Mary Sue Heroine: Everyone at that freaking school, who is worth anyone falls in love with Luce. We as readers are suppose to fall in love with Luce. We're essentially told to. But when I look at Luce's character what do I see: A boring cardboard character who I'm told does nothing wrong. Plus, did I mention the fact that Luce IQ is on range with my dogs. Actually, come to think of it, I think my dogs are smarter than her...maybe her IQ is like a goldfish. Case in point of her stupidity, Luce gets on a plane just because Daniel tells to. Do I even need to go into detail how stupid this is. How Luce easily be sent to some backwards country and be a human trafficking victim. Yeah........

3. Love Triangle: Oh my God. Usually I'm on the fence about love triangles. I know that a lot of people hate them, but I secretly like them. If they're done halfway right. Here not the case. And you know why because freaking insta love drove one of the relationships. Then, in order to make us love Mr. Insta Love, Kate decides to vilify the other love interest. I should also mention that most of the development with relationships is done with the guy Kate decides to vilify. Does this make any sense to you?

Appropriateness: Sigh....I know that this book is very popular. Why? It's always checked out at the library I go to and I was like twenty something on a waiting list just to get the audio CD. I don't think the book though is appropriate at all for young audiences. It's true there's no sex and the language is fairly mild, but there are several things that I thought made the book appropriate for older teens. The imagery was sometimes very morbid, this book was very violent, and quite frankly I was appalled with the way mental illness was treated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

07/20/2012
27.0% "And it's time for more Daniel obsession"
07/20/2012
28.0% "Faceplam, faceplam. Really, Luce you think it's appropriate to ask about Daniel and Gabby to Roland of all people. Seriously, seriously. This book...this book."
07/20/2012
28.0% "Maybe Gabby liked guys who flipped her off? No, Luce you like (or should I say are obsessed) with guys who flip you off."
07/20/2012
28.0% "Kate, seriously you're describing his feet. His stinking feet. No wonder this book is so long. Who cares about how someone's feet look?"
07/20/2012
28.0% "Blushing and talking awkwardly that could sum up this entire book."
07/20/2012
29.0% "How Fallen works: Description, Luce thinks about two boys, blushes, Cam time, Luce blushes some more does something stupid, makes an ass of herself in front of Daniel. Rise and repeat."
07/20/2012
29.0% "You know what I hate when I'm told characters fit perfectly together."
07/20/2012
31.0% "Why most the words morbid or dark be constantly mentioned. I swear this book was written for wannabe vampires."
07/20/2012
31.0% "And seriously, must we talk about everyone's history in the cemetery. Is that suppose to fascinate me? These people are dead and unless this book is about ghosts I don't need to know how they all died."
07/20/2012
32.0% ""I can hardly remember my bleak life before you." Cam-Fallen. I think my eyes are going start bleeding." 8 comments
07/20/2012
32.0% "Penitentiary style of living? This school isn't like a jail. You got to be kidding me. You two are skipping school and picnicking in the cemetery. People don't picnic in jail."
07/20/2012
33.0% "And thus ends disk three. Can I make it through another disk without wanting to bash my head against my desk-probably not. Will I try: probably."
07/20/2012
33.0% "Luce hates snakes. You know who else hates snakes, Indiana Jones. That's the only thing she and Indy have in common. Because while Indy is bad ass, Luce sucks ass."
07/20/2012
33.0% "I feel sorry for Gabby. She just seems to be the resident character to be slut slammed."
07/20/2012
33.0% "Plus, reader's fake Southern accent is hideous."
07/20/2012
33.0% "And guess what she's blushing again."
07/20/2012
33.0% "Luce can't focus on her school work because she's focusing on how romantic her cemetery date was...rolls eyes."
07/20/2012
34.0% "Boo freaking hoo you're in class. And now she's cyber stalking Daniel. This is too much."
07/20/2012
34.0% "A look into Luce's mind: Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, Cam, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, Cam, Daniel"
07/20/2012
34.0% "Yes, Penn even admits that Luce stalks Daniel."
07/20/2012
35.0% "And the mysterious shadows are mentioned again."
35.0% "Description zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
07/20/2012
35.0% "Okay, now she finally has Daniel's file. Daniel I hope you have a copy of Fallen in your possession. I think you'd have a good case to get a restraining order against Luce."
07/20/2012
35.0% "And of course Stalker Girl wants to read Cam's file too. Oh Daniel, Oh Cam. I really wanted to get through five disks but I think four might be my limit."
07/20/2012
36.0% "Oh, poor Luce. You were looking for everyone's secrets but then you start crying when everyone knows yours."
07/20/2012
37.0% "The lame excuse at making Luce be clumsy is not endearing. Not at all."
07/20/2012
37.0% "And you like and condone a guy who is making fun of you?"
07/20/2012
37.0% "OMG Daniel doesn't have a girlfriend! How can this be possible, Luce wonders. I'll tell you how it's possible Luce, Daniel might be a pretty boy but anyone (except you) can see that he's a jerk."
07/20/2012
37.0% "It's sort of obvious that there is some sort of reincarnation or something going on here. The foreshadowing is rather blatant."
07/20/2012
37.0% "She's believes that Daniel isn't staring at her in a wet t because he's kind. He doesn't like you Luce. Get the picture."
07/20/2012
38.0% "The reason Daniel hates Luce, he had a pyromanic girlfriend in the past. Right. Be honest with her Daniel, the real reason you don't like her is because she's a stalker."
07/20/2012
38.0% "The thought of Daniel even having an ex girlfriend wants to make Luce barf. Oh God, this has gone beyond obsession."
07/20/2012
39.0% "I just love how this book jumps around. There is not a sense of logic here." 12 comments
07/20/2012
39.0% "Oh no, not Paradise Lost. You leave Milton's poem alone, Kate."
07/20/2012
40.0% "I'm really wondering why this book is always checked out at my local library. It's not that great."
07/20/2012
40.0% "Luce=Lucifer good catch Molly, good catch."
07/20/2012
41.0% "Daydreaming about Satan, right (takes a sip of whiskey). Yep, this book garners whisky. Not an umbrella drink but whiskey."
07/20/2012
41.0% "Of course the time he spent away from you was rejuvenating. The time away from you also rejuvenates me Luce."
07/20/2012
42.0% "Asking about how they liked a review session-okay...."
07/20/2012
42.0% "Jewelry? Seriously, Cam, you barely know this Bella wannabe."
07/20/2012
42.0% "Another thing to add to the Fallen plot cycle, Gabby intervenes."
07/20/2012
44.0% "Officially done with disk four. Guys should I even attempt disk five today? I'm tempted too just so I can have half of this wretched book read and can review it, but I honestly think if I have to hear about any more of Luce's antics today I might get a concussion from head desking."
07/20/2012
44.0% "Pen and Luce. Illegally snooping through people's records again. Nice."
07/20/2012
44.0% "Mary Sue Trait #333: Believing that no one has the hots for you when everyone has the hots on you (Yes, Luce Price has it)."
07/20/2012
44.0% "Hoping you enjoy a review session? Really, no teacher would ask that. Rather they'd ask if they had any questions for the test because obviously they're not there to talk about how stellar the review session was."
07/21/2012
45.0% "Dear book do you really think all this stalking is suppose to interest me? Really."
07/21/2012
45.0% "This book is so overly described it makes even the action scenes seem insufferable."
07/21/2012
46.0% "So far this disk has been an explosion of purple prose. I get that something seemingly exciting and important is going on, but I just can't get past all the purple prose."
07/21/2012
46.0% "I don't want to read/hear about a stinking rain metaphor. It doesn't make you look smart it just annoys the heck out of me. I want to get to the actual plot. Please."
07/21/2012
47.0% "Note, when most people are unconscious in the hospital. Usually only family is allowed to visit them not their fellow reform student friends."
07/21/2012
47.0% "And now more Trevor melodrama. When there is essentially no proof for even an indictment. Geez!"
07/21/2012
48.0% "Dear lord, even though you just survived a fire your still slut slamming Gabbe. Get over yourself, Luce."
07/21/2012
49.0% "And at this point Randy has decide to show up...the supposed supervision in this book is laughable."
07/21/2012
49.0% "Yes, he came by to check on you because you almost died not because he likes her."
07/21/2012
50.0% "Note, the police wouldn't be able to come in Luce's room without her parents permission attendance/she's a minor."
07/21/2012
50.0% "Okay, so her parents decided to show up...finally."
07/21/2012
50.0% "Dear lord stop insulting the Southern accent narrator. Plus, the police questioning doesn't make sense."
07/21/2012
50.0% "Luce wanting to answer questions ignoring her attorneys advice: Stupid, stupid, stupid. Plus, what does she being a loner have to deal with any of this."
07/21/2012
51.0% "Ugh, my Criminal Procedure prof would be shaking his finger at Kate right now."
07/21/2012
52.0% "God her parents are really neutering: not. Maybe that's why Luce is so messed up."
07/21/2012
52.0% "Oh, dear lord Daniel obsession again."
52.0% "Let's fawn over Daniel at a funeral of all places." 16 comments
07/21/2012
52.0% "Similes about corpse, priceless. Just priceless."
07/21/2012
53.0% "Half the night before obsessing over the "gifts" that her boyfriends gave her. And now we're getting a stupid metaphor about math. I hate math almost as much as I hate this book."
07/21/2012
54.0% "Okay, so you're annoyed with Cam who is being a perfectly nice guy with you because he's not the guy that flipped you off. Please."
07/21/2012
54.0% "So Luce is going to ditch calling her love ones for Daniel...I'm not even going to discuss the toxicity of this relationship. Oh good, more bad imagery...."
07/21/2012
54.0% "Shakes head...this relationship shows all classic signs of battered person's syndrome. I just don't understand...I don't want to."
07/21/2012
55.0% "And thus ends the fifth disk of this train wreck. Should I attempt to do another disk? Technically I have gotten past the halfway point which I believes gives me the right to write a review and I really don't want to continue it...but I'm a sucker for punishment. So I might, just might attempt to get through the next disk." 5 comments
07/21/2012
55.0% "And I'm starting again....description (brilliant). Though as boring as they are, there are some moments of potential brilliance here if you squint really, really hard."
07/21/2012
55.0% "Luce, you can't walk on water. You're not Christ."
07/21/2012
55.0% "Of course he knows about Trevor...everyone knows about Trevor."
07/21/2012
55.0% "Good Luce, you're admitting you're mentally unsound. That's the first step in getting help."
07/21/2012
55.0% "And now you're telling Daniel EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING about the shadows. You don't even know him. Head desk, head desk, head desk."
07/21/2012
56.0% "Just touching him causes Daniel to fall down. What is he made of...cardboard?"
07/21/2012
56.0% "Okay, I don't need a play for play for a potential make out scene that did not happen."
07/21/2012
56.0% "Setting blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...it's going to be a long disk."
07/21/2012
57.0% "The transitions in this book are really terrible."
07/21/2012
57.0% "The reader (Justine Eyre) can't even be bothered to use the same voice for the father-shakes head. Shoddy protection."
07/21/2012
57.0% "We're just trying to follow the rule- okay, parents perhaps instead of trying to follow the rules you should put your child's best interest first. Not trust random people."
07/21/2012
57.0% "And then you yell at your daughter for trying to confide her fears with you...if I didn't do my blog post on worst parents in YA already you two would definitely be on the list."
07/21/2012
57.0% "Take up epic letter writing-I'm sorry but some of this writing just comes off as extremely fake."
07/21/2012
58.0% "And even more description....."
07/21/2012
58.0% "This is messed up the dad's more concerned about the plants than Luce."
07/21/2012
58.0% "Luce don't protect them from the reds or anything, let your parents see how bad the school is. Then maybe they'll believe you."
07/21/2012
58.0% "Wait didn't you state earlier that Molly was from the same orphanage as Daniel. Yet her parents are with her at parent's day. Continuation issues..."
07/21/2012
58.0% "And more description..........."
07/21/2012
59.0% "And even more description about the cemetery..."
07/21/2012
59.0% "Okay, now we've got to Cam. Is sad I'm ready for some obsession over him. There has been way too much parents day/cemetery tour."
07/21/2012
59.0% "And more blushing....."
07/21/2012
60.0% "Okay, you want to go home but you're not saying anything because of a boy. Despite the fact that you're probably going to die. This doesn't call for just a head desk but a wall desk."
07/21/2012
60.0% "Daniel obsession ugh...I figure I could skip a disk and be okay."
07/21/2012
61.0% "And now it's time for a weather description. There's some nice imagery in here, but it's getting really annoying. I could care less if it was raining outside."
07/21/2012
61.0% "And now we're getting a recap via Luce's journal. Ugh."
61.0% "Cam=cheese ball." 7 comments
07/22/2012
62.0% "Yawn....more exposition. Seriously, are we going to have exposition until the ninth disk."
07/22/2012
62.0% "And now we get the typical nobody understands me comments form Luce...."
07/22/2012
64.0% "When she smiles her eyes almost disappear....what?"
07/22/2012
64.0% "What...what's going on Daniel and Cam fighting. Oh, I dozed off for a minute. That's nice...."
07/22/2012
65.0% "And seriously Kate do you have to embody every cliche bad stuff happens during the rain...of course...."
07/22/2012
65.0% "Hmm, what do you think they're talking about. Probably about controlling that rage monster if I was to guess. Groan..."
07/22/2012
65.0% "Disk Six has now concluded. Will Luce meet Cam like his note asked? Probably. But we probably won't be privy to the meeting until after twenty to thirty minutes of description."
07/22/2012
66.0% "I'm giving myself a pat on the back we're getting more description of Luce. Look book I don't need Luce to be described for me she looks like Kristen Stewart from the Runaways." 1 comment
07/22/2012
66.0% "I really have no sense of time when it comes to this book. I don't know how many days passed, are they in the middle/end of the semester or what."
07/22/2012
67.0% "Reading Distant Friends letter three times....right. Then again Luce is an obsessive personality so I guess it is possible." 1 comment
07/22/2012
67.0% "I don't need a play for play for every useless event."
07/22/2012
67.0% "Now I think that Kate is trying make up the fact that Cam seemed to be a pretty likable character until now by making him seem disgustingly creepy."
07/22/2012
67.0% "Now Luce is staring at herself again. Rolls eyes."
07/22/2012
67.0% "Description yet again. If I were the editor of this godforsaken series the first thing I would do is cut the description by about 75%. However, I think the editing department did that the book would be like thirty pages long." 2 comments
07/22/2012
70.0% "Wait something's happening now? Luce is cowering. Thank you Kate, thank you for boring me almost halfway to death then having something happening so quickly I feel like I'm lost."
07/22/2012
70.0% "Lauren Kate makes even fights sound boring."
07/22/2012
70.0% "Oh God it's Daniel... I almost think there needs to be a theme song for whenever he appears since it's like the second coming whenever he appears." 3 comments
07/22/2012
71.0% "Luce wonders how Daniel found her. Well, it's simple he inserted a GPS chip on Luce."
07/22/2012
71.0% "And now Daniel openly admits to living in LA and stealing people's cars. Nice. And this is supposed to be the Gary Sue character."
07/22/2012
72.0% "WTF he's wearing a civil war uniform. Why? Why?"
07/22/2012
72.0% "And why do they constantly state that everyone has a Southern accent. If you live in Georgia you're probably going to have a Southern accent it doesn't need to be mentioned every other page."
07/22/2012
72.0% "P.S. her love life is none of your business Daniel."
07/22/2012
72.0% "Luce wants to be a psychiatrist. Would you want to be seen by a therapist who is self absorbed with themselves, has battered person's syndrome, and has no self respect for herself. I think not."
07/22/2012
73.0% "Ugh, Daniel is declaring his love for Luce. In a quasi Twilight meadow scene. Head desk."
07/22/2012
73.0% ""The passionate lock of their lips".....um, yeah. I'm not even going to talk about this..."
07/22/2012
73.0% "Dying for a kiss...um, no. I think I'll pass."
07/22/2012
73.0% "Oh guys I think Daniel's about to spill the big bad secret. Is it going to make the book more interesting... Wait, wait she skipped it for just more description. Where's my payoff?!?!?!?!?!?!"
07/22/2012
74.0% "She oversleeps and there are no repercussions and this is supposed to be a reform school?"
07/22/2012
75.0% "And the love triangle is still going on, I thought Luce made her decision. Dear lord..."
07/22/2012
75.0% "Still in the running for what, Luce? She's no prize."
07/22/2012
75.0% "Yearning to be a guy even if you're fighting....yep definite battered person syndrome. Seriously, I don't know why it's that difficult for YA lit to portray a healthy relationship."
07/22/2012
75.0% "And now we get the comparing kisses paragraph...it's time to get the liquor out."
07/22/2012
76.0% "Purpose of the Gabbe character: to be slut slam, interrupt any Luce make out sessions, and to remind the reader that she speaks with a Southern twang."
07/22/2012
76.0% "God I feel sorry for Cam. It's like all this bashing on him just started so that Kate can justify Luce and Daniel."
07/22/2012
76.0% "Um, a guy who is twice the size of you should be able to kick your ass. Period...it's like physics or something."
07/22/2012
76.0% "And of course Daniel decides to go all Alpha male and ask Luce why she was talking to Cam. Uh, because she's a person and has the right to talk to whoever she wants to talk to."
07/22/2012
76.0% "Is he going to tell the truth now? Somehow I'm betting I'll have to wait till disk nine to find out."
07/22/2012
76.0% "Oh it looks like he's actually going to spill. I'm surprised let's see how long this takes."
07/22/2012
76.0% "Somehow the big reveal is a little anti-climatic yawn....."
76.0% "He kissed her and thought she was going to die? Yeah...nice." 2 comments
07/22/2012
77.0% "And disk seven ends in the middle of the big explanation. Not very exciting, honestly. All that buildup for this?"
07/22/2012
77.0% "After all these various incarnations it should be easy to Luce about the curse."
07/22/2012
78.0% "White peonies...the significance?"
07/22/2012
78.0% "And what does Luce do after finding out the big bad secret run away. Not because she believes that Daniel is bat shit insane, but because she's afraid..."
07/22/2012
78.0% "You know I really like reincarnation love stories when they're done correctly. This is not one of those cases."
07/22/2012
79.0% "OMG Luce is the woman in the photograph-who knew?"
07/22/2012
80.0% "Seriously, Kate having Luce acting all timid and scared isn't making her likable at all. Can we just finish this already...."
07/22/2012
80.0% "Honestly, I'm surprised these kids don't see a shrink on campus. For being such a strict reform school, there's little to no rehabilitation on the school's part."
07/22/2012
80.0% "You're contemplating telling Ms. Sophia everything...right."
07/22/2012
81.0% "Let's just tell Miss Sophia everything...never mind the fact that you don't know if you can/should trust her. Luce if I hadn't made my YA dumb ass list yet, you'd be on there."
07/22/2012
82.0% "Star crossed lovers cliche, check."
07/22/2012
82.0% "So, according to Miss Sophia everyone believes in something. Do I even need to make a comment about the fallacy of that quote?"
07/22/2012
82.0% "I'm betting that Miss Sophia is our info dump character. And furthermore to up the ante, I bet I won't find out all the info until disk nine."
07/22/2012
84.0% "Um, yeah Miss Sophia Sword and Cross sort of let's the students do whatever the hell they want as seen in the past seven disks. So, I guess we're not going to get that info dump after all."
07/22/2012
84.0% "And more morbid description....."
07/22/2012
85.0% "And yet again action scenes are muddle by annoying inward monologue and description. Dear lord, did the editing department even look at this?"
07/22/2012
86.0% "Ugh, Daniel. Cue theme music."
07/22/2012
86.0% "Can Luce just die already...pretty, pretty, please."
07/22/2012
86.0% "And it's self depreciation time from Luce, who bets within the next two minutes Daniel tells her that she is the most wonderful person in the world."
07/22/2012
87.0% "I get we're near the climax of the book...but I'm still bored to death. And seriously, why is Daniel in a reform school if he's been alive like forever can't he just leave."
07/22/2012
87.0% "Miss Sophia is really grating on my nerves now, more than usual."
07/22/2012
87.0% "You love him and how many conversations have you actually had together. And for that matter how many of them haven't been verbally abusive."
07/22/2012
87.0% "Oh, Cam the big bad has shown up. It's almost as if this book is on a mixture of acid and barbs."
07/22/2012
87.0% ""Oh, yes, baby, we're going to brawl over you again." Cam-um, why. She's not worth it. I don't even think you'd have to do anything to get rid of her."
07/22/2012
87.0% "And now all the cast is popping in for the big climax....freaking head desk."
07/22/2012
87.0% "So the apocalypse will happen if Luce dies. Oh God...just....just...I need a minute."
07/22/2012
88.0% "Disk eight finished, one more disk to go. I can do it. Though I don't know if I can do it today."
07/25/2012
88.0% "Started disk nine. I'm in the home stretch."
07/25/2012
88.0% "I'm betting Penn is going to die. Dead friend category half check. Did I really mention I hate this cliche."
07/25/2012
89.0% "Beady eyes, slit. Miss Sophia is a villain obviously."
07/25/2012
89.0% "And Penn is officially dead killed by Miss Sophia...you bastard. Seriously, this book is messed up."
07/25/2012
90.0% "God Luce is such an idiot...head desk."
07/25/2012
90.0% "And she doesn't think Miss Sophia is evil because Daniel trusts her...Really, Luce Daniel is not perfect. This should be ridiculously obvious since he is a fallen angel and all."
07/25/2012
91.0% "Seriously, Luce, you want to obsess over Daniel when your friend died. What a bitch."
07/25/2012
91.0% "She planned all of this-jeez, no shit Sherlock."
07/25/2012
92.0% "Remember those Saturday morning cartoons where the villain always gives a big speech before the moronic hero/heroine gets away? Yeah, we're having that moment now."
07/25/2012
93.0% "Wait, so having a religious beliefs allows Luce to be reincarnated. Oh, I think it's time for a drink."
07/25/2012
94.0% "Stupid, selfish, spoiled, ignorant little girl-Miss Sophia you have taken the words right out of my mouth." 5 comments
94.0% "The power of love....gag me now." 2 comments
94.0% "WTF is going on?"
07/25/2012
94.0% "Saved by angels. Angels would save THAT?"
07/25/2012
95.0% "And we have description at this point in the game, seriously?"
07/25/2012
95.0% "This is just lame. That is all."
95.0% "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE"
07/25/2012
96.0% "So they just want to leave Penn's body there to rot not even bury her...."
07/25/2012
96.0% "Wait, can't they just get Luce baptized now and fix her mortality status? Plot hole."
07/25/2012
96.0% "And we're not getting answers about Luce's mysterious backstory."
07/25/2012
96.0% "Despite the fact that my best friend died last night, I don't want to totally forget what happened. I did figure out that Daniel and I have this like curse and it's very cool. You know forbidden love and all-Luce"
07/25/2012
96.0% "Luce strong...um no."
07/25/2012
97.0% "OOh, rushing wind in her hair. Cue "Colors of the Wind"."
07/25/2012
97.0% "You're going to get on an airplane because a guy you barely knows says to. God, Luce, don't you have any sense of self preservation?"
07/25/2012
97.0% "And of course Daniel doesn't answer any questions."
07/25/2012
98.0% "Do we really need this big of a good-bye scene. Get on with it already."
07/25/2012
98.0% "Having feelings for someone not human-um, Luce almost any YA PNR character has these feelings. You're not alone."
07/25/2012
99.0% "Do I need to hear about how Luce is anxious about take off. Irrelevant."
07/25/2012
99.0% "And it just goes on and on. Most people would've ended the book after Luce stepped up on the plane. Unless something dramatic is going to happen like the plane crashing. But I don't see that happening here."
07/25/2012
99.0% "You don't know where you're going still? Seriously, haven't you heard about human trafficking, Luce? God, you're an idiot."
07/25/2012
99.0% "A freaking epilogue.....head desk.....I just want this over with."
07/25/2012
99.0% "And it's mostly description surprise...surprise...."
07/25/2012
99.0% "Why is this even necessary...it's just more useless description."
07/25/2012
99.0% "Daniel and Cam are now having girl talk about Luce...nice this is what qualifies as an epilogue."
07/25/2012
99.0% "So if I read the sequels will I find out why Luce is so special...Fallen aficionados can you answer that one for me?" 1 comment
07/25/2012
100.0% "Blink. I'm finished but nothing happened...I feel....I"M FREE!" 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle Oh God, this book. . . .

Vanessa You poor thing. :(

message 3: by Howdy YAL (last edited Jul 15, 2012 09:35PM) (new) - added it

Howdy YAL I actually had this on reserve for months-at the library-I was planning on listening it for angel month. But it didn't get to me until last week and I sort of feel guilty for not listening to it. But God, I think I enjoy Halo more.