Ange's Reviews > The Bellwether Revivals

The Bellwether Revivals by Benjamin Wood

Jul 18, 12

Read from July 15 to 18, 2012

It is difficult to put this book in a nutshell, but my best attempt is to compare it to a literary love child -- it's the ideal combination of a modern version of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby meets Donna Tartt's The Secret History. According to the blurb on the top inside cover of the dust jacket, The Bellwether Revivals is "a sophisticated debut novel about the hypnotic influence of love, the beguiling allure of money and the haunting power of music."

But it's more than that. It's a story about the mind-body-soul connection, the complexities of relationships (friendship, family and love) and the mysteries of science, spirituality and art/music. It's a book that will leave me philosophizing at length about my thoughts on hope and the human condition. If this sounds like your cup of tea, don't hesitate to source a copy.

Finally, this book is artfully plotted, with complex characters and luscious writing. It's a great choice for further introspection, discussion with a close friend or a book group. It is Benjamin Wood's first book and he has managed to hit his stride right off the bat. I'm already a fan and very much looking forward to the next step in Mr. Wood's writing career.

Five stars, and a favorite!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bellwether Revivals.

07/16/2012 page 113
26.0% "So intriguing thus far!"