Nemo's Reviews > Existence

Existence by David Brin

M 50x66
Jul 15, 2012

Read from July 15 to 19, 2012

Yet another excellent offering by one of modern-day hard science-fiction's greatest masters.However there were several things that forced me to give it a lower than maximum rating.
First of all, the pace of development - on several occasions I felt that the story was flowing too sluggishly, and while the wold-building was enjoyable I found myself yearning for more rapid plot development, at least initially.
Second - this books incorporates within itself several shorter works, and it shows, the overall plot felt somewhat disjoint at times.
Third - I would not call Brin preachy, not exactly, however with this, as with many of his other works it felt as if he was trying to lecture his readers.And while he is nowhere near as notorious for inserting and trying to spread his socio-political ideals as many other writers he could he should have done a better job at interweaving said ideas into the narrative.
Fourth, and final - the numerous time-jumps were somewhat annoying too, as if the writer had set a word limit for himself when he had began writing, subsequently forgotten about it temporarily and left the tale to flow freely for time, but then at some point the word limit had managed to forcefully reinstate itself with a vengeance.
The above aside - this book is a true gem for any real hard science-fiction aficionado.
A true science-fiction epic, even if at times it felt as if we were getting the abridged version of a much larger story with many of the reader's questions still left unanswered.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Existence.