Rhiannon's Reviews > The Collector

The Collector by John Fowles

Jul 16, 12

Read in July, 2012

Goodness. What a creepy read! Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down - I knew it was wrong, horribly wrong - but like a car crash, I had to keep going. I could see Fred, the disturbed young man - who seemed more like 45 than 25 - as a plain, far too neat, far too pedantic man than to be quite normal. His interest in Miranda was terrifying. He methodically, but in his mind, accidentally, got everything prepared for her kidnap and imprisonment, which I as the reader, know was inevitable.

Miranda's diary was fascinating in places, but frustrating in others. I felt very scared for her but I didn't warm to her personality. She was haughty as opposed to terrified, vulnerable etc. She kept noting the class difference between her and Fred, which I appreciate is something you would think about in that situation, but I thought she dwelt on it too much. I found it much more realistic towards the end of her diary entries when she was genuinely scared. I did like it when she said how much she hated Fred, and when (for example) in his narrative he was so delighted with the clothes he'd bought her which she in turn found tasteless!!

The ending left me reeling. I wasn't sure what was going to happen to Miranda - I really thought she was going to be ok... but at the very end when Fred started thinking about the new M, the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end and I went cold as I realised that he had got himself into a scenario from which he would never be able to escape.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collector.