Katy's Reviews > Blink Once

Blink Once by Cylin Busby

Jul 17, 12

Read from July 15 to 17, 2012

2.5 stars - This book had such potential to be a very powerful book. Unfortunately, the writing and the story progression just was not compelling. So I really want to bump it up to a three to credit Busby for her creativity, but I just find it hard to find the book more than just okay.

To be honest, I couldn't get into the first 2/3 of the book. We meet West, who was paralyzed in an accident, and he meets another patient Olivia, who supposedly shows him how to live.

Meanwhile, West's point of view switches back and forth from his current state to memories of the past and dreams of another world. I felt disconnected as West floated among the three, and I kept thinking they were really random and wondering how in the world everything tied in together. Of course, they did help me come up with my theory, and I will say the book was not at all unpredictable (yes, a double-negative, but it makes more of an emphasis that way).

What really bothered me was the convenience of everything - the bike accident that left him in a paralyzed state and the miraculous surgery that could have killed him. And how easily West and Olivia fell in love. Sure the book questions how you can fall in love with someone you've never even talked to, but I would believe it had I felt more connected to West and Olivia. Unfortunately, I found both characters to be weird and a bit on the awkward side, and their whole interaction was just off - understandable, but off nonetheless.

Of course, even though the book was predictable, and I did see it coming, the epiphany did blow me away - but just for a little bit. Then the story went back to being kind of boring, which was really disappointing because I felt Busby could do SO much with it. I will say I liked how Busby tied everything in together - Olivia, the dreams and everything else. But again, her writing and story progression lacked that compelling component that drew you into West's feelings.

Overall, I would give this book five stars for concept. I just wish there was a way I could have been more into it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink Once.

07/16/2012
60.0% "Not going very good. :("

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rogier (new)

Rogier awesome my fav kind

message 2: by Katy (last edited Jul 15, 2012 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy Rogier wrote: "awesome my fav kind"

LOL, to be honest, I used to not like reading male POV because I thought most of them were flat and boring, but I think it's just because I hadn't found many good ones. So if you know of any, please recommend.

message 3: by Rogier (new)

Rogier sending a pm soon

message 4: by Dani (new)

Dani why why why are all books 3 stars lately?

Katy MissKing wrote: "why why why are all books 3 stars lately?"

I don't know. I really, really wanted to like this one too because the concept is pretty awesome. :(

message 6: by Dani (new)

Dani yeah I thought it would be good. Dammit. Now I don't know what to start! any suggestions?

Katy LOL, I'm like the worst person to ask for recommendations.