Stan Crowe's Reviews > Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra

Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra by Obert Skye

Jul 15, 12

Read in May, 2009

After the disappointment of reading "The Youngest Templar: Keeper of the Grail," By Michael Spradlin, I found that Mr. Skye's book was a refreshing redemption of young adult literature, especially since I read both books back-to-back. In fact, part of the reason I picked up "Leven Thumps" was to see whether all YA literature was going down the same trail, or whether it was just a few books (and copious amounts of "fan fic").

Leven Thumps delivered, and in a surprising way. Though some things were a bit too easy for the main character, the reasons were explained well, I thought, and Leven and company really did face some sticky situations in which the solutions were not just handed to them at the last moment.

I think one of the most winning aspects of this book, for me, was Skye's personal narration throughout the book. The style was ultra-casual, light-hearted, and, though random at times,very amusing. It was like watching a movie while standing right next to the director, in a sense, who was filling you in on all the little details that would swamp the story if they were to be included in the main plotline.

In any case, the book flowed well--if somewhat meandering because of the inherent strangeness of the land of dreams ("Foo")--and one really could just immerse themself in the world Skye crafted. And what a world that is. I didn't even bother to count the number of different creatures, gizmos, magics, etc. he wove into this book (I have to say that the travel by rope idea was spiffy), but it all clicked together.

I think it's a real credit to Skye that he managed to make his world of Foo sufficiently robust that even a first-time reader who jumped in at book four (I didn't realise it was book four, at first--I was too lazy to carefully examine the cover) was able to pick up the trail, and the previous storyline quickly enough that he wanted to keep reading, and still had a fair idea of what had gone before, and what was yet to come.

Straight up, this book is weird--and I think that's by design. But it really is a delightful tale, and it's one I'd recommend to children and adults alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra.