Ciara's Reviews > Sonic Cool: The Life & Death of Rock'n'roll

Sonic Cool by Joe Harrington

Nov 06, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: weirdo-music-books, read-in-2007
Recommended for: other asshole would-be music critics
Read in November, 2007 , read count: once

i hated this book. i would have given it zero stars if that could have dragged down its rating a little bit more. this is another ridiculously thick book printed on that hateful, thick, photo-quality paper for no reason other than to chap my ass. so the book weighed, i don't know, ninety-eight pounds or so. this is the kind of book that makes me seriously question my finish-every-book policy. i'm not even sure why i started reading it. i think i was hoping for a book full of salacious details about how different rock stars meet their proverbial makers. i read a book like that in the summer of 2005 (can't recall the name--i didn't start keeping detailed records on books i read until the beginning of 2006) & found it quite entertaining. this book, however, was a pile of puke. this joe harrington dude wants to be lester bangs but it even more untalented. it's really tragic sometimes, the people who get books deals while people who are capable of original opinions & coherent thoughts languish in obscurity. i mostly hated this book for the same reason i dislike most music books, & this reason also makes me wonder why i read music books at all, because they all share this fatal flaw: the author focuses mainly on the kind of music he himself likes best, while throwing around bogus, insulting opinions aboutmusic he dislikes, largely unsupported by any kind of actual fact or nugget of interest. skip this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sonic Cool.