Michigosling's Reviews > Lady Audley's Secret

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon

4820982
Jul 17, 12

Recommended to Michigosling by: M. H. Lovelace gave it a negative recommendation
Recommended for: Beach readers, lovers or Victorian pulp fiction
Read from July 14 to 16, 2012, read count: 1

The main character in one of my all-time favorite books, Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown, gets in trouble for reading this book, so I've always felt mildly curious to find out what the fuss was about. Since I can't go to the Betsy-Tacy convention that I was hoping to attend this coming week, and there are no MHL books left on my "to read" list, I decided this is as good a time as any to read it.

Having now finished it, I can't agree with Mrs. Ray or Mr. Kelly that it's trash not worth reading. Granted, a steady diet of such novels and nothing else might warp the aspiring young author's view of literature. It did have its flaws. The author's grammar isn't the best, nor her understanding of the natural world. A crescent moon does not rise in the evening, and one would think that before the invention of electric lights, such information would have been common knowledge. However, I found it an enjoyable read, and I think people who want to be writers when they grow up could find something of value in it. I loved the way she churned out all that flowery verbiage when she had little to say. If nothing else, there's a lot to satirize in this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Audley's Secret.