Dean Summers's Reviews > To Sit at the Welcome Table

Jul 15, 2012

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: christian-living
Read in July, 2012

“Sermon” is the Latin word for “word.” A sermon is a word of address, a message, allegedly a message from God.

The rumor is that people have stopped believing in God. So, to offer people, total strangers, a book of messages from God may come across as a little quaint, a little nutty, or a little deranged.

That still might get you some readers. But sermons? Everybody hates sermons!

So, if you’ve gathered up a batch of sermons you’d like people to read, you really should call them something else.

But, here, in To Sit at the Welcome Table, a sermon is called a sermon. And, as you read, you say, “This isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.” And then, “Hey, this is pretty good!” Best of all, you begin hearing the voice of Someone you thought you’d stopped believing in.

But don’t tell anybody! People will think you are a little quaint, a little nutty, or a little deranged.

[This is my book, so I’m partial. But, of my last batch of sermons, Marching to Zion, LeRoy Lawson wrote in the Christian Standard: “… simple distillations of profound biblical insight.” I agree with Dr. Lawson. And To Sit at the Welcome Table is even better!]
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Sit at the Welcome Table.