Kristin's Reviews > The Virgin Cure

The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay

Jul 15, 2012

Read in July, 2012

I picked this book from a BOMC subscription, where my choices were limited, so I wasn't exactly super excited about the book. But I did find the book's topic interesting. And, well, I actually really liked the book. I found the author's writing style engaging and of good quality. I enjoyed all of the books characters, and found them distinct and interesting on their own (Moth, the main character, as well as a cast of secondary characters such as Lester, Miss Everett, Dr. Sadie, Mae, Alice, Mr. Dink and his cast of oddities, etc). I enjoyed getting a "window" into this part of 1860s New York, and I felt the story was true to its time (i.e. characters were tough when appropriate, and not overly sympathetic and "soft" in a modern sense when survival was an issue). I found that Dr. Sadie's character allowed the author to inject some interesting aspects of medicine and health of the time into the story (i.e. syphilis and the various efforts to treat it). And then without getting distracted by the main story, the author would insert small historical details about New York from the time (i.e. the politics of the time in the city, corruption and collaboration between the brothels and the city's elite, etc). It would have been easy to get excited and put too much of this detail into the book, distracting from Moth's story, and the author wisely refrained from doing this... I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, but also to anyone who simply enjoys a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Cure.