Lana Hoffman's Reviews > Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson

Nov 22, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction

"A young slave stiches a quilt with a map pattern which guides her to freedom in the North."
Overall, Clara is a great role model and children can learn a lot about good character from reading her story. As I read I began to care about Clara and I wanted her to escape to freedom with her family.
Specifically, the cover of this book invites the reader into the story. The end pages are clevery done and give the reader a more detailed look at the quilt. The author gives this book a happy ending, but reminds the reader that others were not as lucky. I thought that this made it a real, authentic story.
As a teacher, I would have children (k-high school) work together in small groups to create their own freedom maps like Clara did and present them in to the class. This book could also lead to a powerful discussion about freedom. Specifically, "What does it mean for each of them to be free, does everyone deserve the same freedom and what lengths would you go to in order to be free?"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt.

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea The book "The Patchwork Path, A Quilt Map to Freedom," by Bettye Stroud sounds like it would tie in well with this story. In this beautifully illustrated book, Hannah is a slave on a Georgia plantation. When she is ten, her mother taught her to make a "special quilt" where "each pattern holds a special meaning." She and her family dreamed of freedom. After her sister is sold and her mother passes away, Hannah and her father leave the the plantation and escape to Canada following the secret signs in the quilt. Their journey is full of danger, but the desire for freedom is great.