Robin's Reviews > This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking

This Will Make You Smarter by John Brockman

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: didn-t-finish
Read in July, 2012

The author asked many famous people, "What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?"

The idea intrigued me; from each successful, "famous" person, what single thing is it important for people to know? It seemed like the book would be full of good advice.

However, I didn't enjoy reading it. I suppose all the concepts were scientific ones, which didn't interest me. None of the writers (I only read a few. I didn't read the whole book.) spoke about why or how their particular concept could change the world if everybody knew it.

This is the second book I've read where the author asked many dozen people something and compiled the answers. I didn't like either one. It could be that an answer given in 2-3 pages doesn't give enough background for the answer to have meaning. Perhaps we need to know each person better, to understand why/how they came up with their answer.

There is one answer that I felt was quite good, and many others that had decent ideas, so it wasn't a complete waste of my time.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Will Make You Smarter.