Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)'s Reviews > Attachments

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Oct 13, 13

bookshelves: personal-library, 2013, f-romance, f-general, fiction, format-tree, source-own
Read from July 06 to 14, 2013

At Lincoln's workplace, it is a rule that the work email should not be used for personal purposes, and it is Lincoln's job to enforce that ruling and warn any employee found violating the rule. Some have been fired, while a few have been let off with warnings. Even Beth and Jennifer, two employees in his company know of this, but that doesn't stop them from slowly testing their boundaries by starting off with small talk and then expanding into talking about all their problems through email. Lincoln knows he should stop them, but initially they seem harmless and over time, he starts getting intrigued by these two women. He ends up liking them so much that he starts looking forward to their emails. And then he falls in love with Beth, who doesn't even know him.

I won Attachments couple of years ago on someone's blog, when it first came out. At that time, even though many said that they enjoyed it, I wasn't interested. The premise didn't quite jump at me and I had been having a bad time with similar books. And so it languished on my shelf until Rainbow Rowell burst on the book scene early this year with her Eleanor & Park. I was still not so sure but after all the solid reviews, it was hard to pass by this book and not read it.

I'm glad that I eventually got to this book. Attachments wasn't a five-star read but it was so much fun to be lost in it!

I'm not sure if they still do the monitoring email thing. Lincoln's company seemed to be obsessed with keeping its email filters clean. Lincoln thinks it's a petty priority but he is at a stage in his life when he isn't sure what he wants to do. So he takes up this menial task, while he figures things out. He was also staying with his mom, who loved having someone to pamper. Lincoln doesn't mind it one bit but his sister has been trying to get him out of there. So with the boredom that is his job everyday, when Beth's and Jennifer's emails start showing up in his filters, he can't help but read them.

Beth and Jennifer, however, don't seem too worried about being caught. At least Beth wasn't. Jennifer would still freak out occasionally, while Beth seemed to be tempting the dragon with each email. Almost-happily married Jennifer's big problem is that she doesn't want kids but her husband does. Beth's problem is that her boyfriend isn't exactly behaving like a boyfriend should but she doesn't quite want to be single. As these two spend their days chatting about love matters via email, Lincoln was getting attached to them.

The whole story is really not such a big deal. It's all predictable, and nothing shocking happens. But it's so heartwarming that I enjoyed every bit of it. It gives the same feeling as watching movies like When Harry Met Sally or You've Got Mail or many other romantic comedies does. (It is not a coincidence that almost all the romantic movies I talk about star Meg Ryan!) You can't help but smile throughout. And when you close the book, you feel genuinely happy like the characters were your best buddies. I'm a sucker for romantic comedies. There's nothing better I like to watch on TV than movies that make me feel all girly and warm and happy and smiley without making me roll my eyes. When a book does the same thing, you can't go wrong with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.

Quotes Athira Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“Every woman wants a man who'll fall in love with her soul as well as her body.”
Rainbow Rowell, Attachments