Hannah's Reviews > Unspeakable Words

Unspeakable Words by Sarah Madison

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: ebooks-i-own, paranormal-elements, contemporary, gay-for-you, law-enforcement, male-male-romance, read-2012, romance, novella
Read from August 26 to 27, 2012

3.5 stars. Rounded up for Goodreads.

This is one of those instances where the overall impression a book leaves behind is greater than the sum of its individual components. Unspeakable Words is a good book, but a far from perfect one. Too many important aspects of the story are left unexplained, a few of the scenes are confusing or oddly structured, and one important aspect of the plot is hastily and clumsily resolved in a couple paragraphs of exposition near the end of the book. But in spite of these problems, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would love to read a sequel.

The best thing about Unspeakable Words is the characters. It's clear that the author feels that way too, as she focuses heavily on the development of the relationship between Jerry and Flynn, while the investigation they are working on is relegated to the background. I loved the dynamics between these characters, especially when the aftermath of Flynn's accidental encounter with a strange artifact adds an unusual and often hilarious new element to their interactions. Flynn is so sexy and funny; I love how he teases Jerry, and how snarky he gets when annoyed or frustrated. Jerry is a irracible control freak who somehow manages to take Flynn's new powers in stride. The erotic content in this novella is fairly minimal, but I didn't miss it. It's fun just to watch Jerry and Flynn interact. The connection that develops between them over the course of the novella is palpable, even though romance isn't even on the table for them until near the end.

I understand this is meant to be the first book in a trilogy, which explains why so many things - including the artifact that gives Flynn his new gift - are left unexplained. I hope Ms. Madison doesn't leave her fans hanging too much longer. I can't wait to read more about these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspeakable Words.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie This is one of those instances where the overall impression a book leaves behind is greater than the sum of its individual components.

I've read books like this, when the impression you're left with is positive even though you found some faults in the book. I* actually like that, in a way. It's nice when the story or writing makes the effort worth it. Plus, it it's an early work, you know their is hope for an author getting better with time.

Hannah Carrie wrote: "I've read books like this, when the impression you're left with is positive even though you found some faults in the book."

Yes, I always take it as a good sign that I should stick with this author. You might like this one, by the way. It's a quick read, it's a bit outside of the box, and there's some great dialog.

Carrie Okay. I'll add it to my list.