Space's Reviews > 14

14 by Peter Clines

Apr 10, 13

bookshelves: audio-books
Read from July 15 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Well this had a little bit of everything. Suspense, thriller, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, adventure and mind-bending awesomeness. I was hooked from the first moment the flap mentioned weird stuff going on in an apartment building. I'm not interested in a haunted apartment. But if every room is different and weird stuff happens - I get interested real fast. Hidden rooms, locked doors that go nowhere, staircases blocked off by steel walls... Sign me up dudes.

The story itself was very strong. Character dev was done in a most delicate and very classy way. Clines introduced characters, usually one at a time, in about every chapter. He didn't, say, have Nate walk into a room and meet nine people. There's no way I can keep up with who's who in books where the author does that. Clines introduced them slowly, and thoroughly, so I got to know each one before the next one came in. Very nicely done!

The one thing I felt like should have been a little stronger was the basement level of the apartment. True, the characters spent several days beneath the building, but - well, once you read it you'll see what I mean. There just seems like more to investigate down there. I felt a little let down - even though he explained everything adequately. I can't really explain it better than that. Without spoilers, anyway.

There were some very chilling scenes in this book that I think would have been better, had I actually read the book instead of listening to it. This narrator has a tendency to be way too articulate with some of his words. Read this to yourself: "'Blah Blah?' asked Tim." Yes, he finishes saying 'asked' perfectly, pronouncing the T-sound at the end, before he starts on the word Tim. Every time. Doesn't look like a big deal, but most of us don't talk like that. It comes out sounding like 'ask Tim' when most of us speak. Not a big deal? Try listening to that during an intense scene. Not my favorite narrator. He was pretty good with voices, but overall exposition wasn't impressive. I'll probably pass on any future titles bearing his name.

Bottom line: give this one a go if you like sci-fi! I really enjoyed it. I will probably seek this out in e-format and read it again at some point. Great story, fast-paced and full of mystery, just as advertised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 14.

07/21/2012
89.0% "Dude. This is really good. Never heard of this guy. Downloaded based on rating and recommendation on a whim. Thanks Audible!" 1 comment