Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > The Casanova Code

The Casanova Code by Donna MacMeans

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: historical, non-erotic
Read in July, 2012

Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

There's the saying a tiger can't change his stripes, but what if he does?

I hadn't taken the time to open a book by Donna MacMeans until I nabbed a copy of The Casanova Code. Let me say here and now, I was so wrong to wait this long. I snickered, cheered, and at times wanted to toss the book across the room. Why? Because I got so wrapped up in the characters! I did. I sat down to read this book planning to take in two, maybe three chapters, then get some other things done. Before I knew it, more than an hour had gone by, along with over half the tale. The writing flowed so well, I was stuck fast in my seat needing to know what would happen next. I felt like I was right there with them and couldn't get enough.

Why would I want to throw the book if I liked it so much? In every great book, this being no exception, there are times when the characters do things that seem... odd. As much as I wasn't sure I'd like Ashton, the hero, I did. I loved how he evolved through the story and grew into his own. That said, there were a few moments when he made choices I didn't agree with. That's a good thing! He kept the story lively. Then there was Edwina. There's a line Ashton's father says, 'whatever happened to good old-fashioned names, like Mary or Rose?' That line really fit. She wasn't an average girl. She kept reminding everyone she was a 'modern woman'. I give her credit - riding the bicycle, free-thinking in a time when women were expected to wed and produce children... she had it all. Yes, there were a couple of times, neither I'll go into detail on as to not ruin the story, where I wanted to shout 'why are you doing that' and yet, I understood. I got great insight into the times they lived in.

There was one detail threaded through the story that gave a new twist on the historical. The Japanese Pillow Books. Again, I won't go into a lot of detail as to not ruin the story, but these books were white hot. A reader not expecting a sexual topic within the story might be taken aback by the theme of sexual object, but be assured, Ms. MacMeans handled the story arc with flair. It's a great addition and I liked it.

If you want a book that will stick with you long after the last page, then this might be the book you're looking for. I recommend it highly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Casanova Code.