Sarfraz's Reviews > We're Going on a Bear Hunt

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen

M 50x66
Jul 15, 12

We're Going on a Bear Hunt is a fun and memorable children's book.
The animated book shows the journey of a family on a bear hunt. They go through a deep cold river, thick oozy mud, a big dark forest, a swirling whirling snowstorm, and finally through a narrow gloomy cave where they encounter a bear before they run back.

The story is written in a clear and concise manner which makes it easy for children in EYFS and KS1 to follow. The rhythm of the adventure not only makes it simple to memorise but it also captures the attention of young children and allows them to participate in the journey.

I have seen this children's book being used in different settings within a school. On one occasion, I have seen an adult read out aloud to a class in KS1 whilst she acted out the actions, on another occasion, I have seen a group of children read and re-enact the journey amongst themselves. Therefore, the book can be used in many ways; you just have to be imaginative. Personally, I have supported an SEN pupil in Year 3, who in a group, acted out the scenes as I read out aloud. The DVD also proved to be popular, where he would sit and watch the journey of the bear hunt and join in on reading out the words aloud. This book is excellent for interactive purposes and can be used for further activities:

* Children in KS1 can be asked to draw certain aspects of the story, for example, what does the bear look like? and so on.
* The story can be dismantled where the pupils must try to put it together in the correct sequence.
* Pupils can be asked to write about their own adventure (which will help with their creative skills)
* The DVD of the story can be used as a standalone - for example, during their 'fun' time where they whole class could join in
* The story could be re-enacted as a small class performance - i.e. pupils could be different characters from the story

The possibilities are truly endless with this story and it is bound to be popular with the pupils.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We're Going on a Bear Hunt.