Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Jul 15, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, books-i-own

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

Staci one of my favorites!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Staci wrote: "one of my favorites!"

So happy to hear that! I keep hearing fabulous things about this series.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) It is fabulous! I have read them more than once and have a good friend and a granddaughter reading them now (granddaughter is over 18!)

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "It is fabulous! I have read them more than once and have a good friend and a granddaughter reading them now (granddaughter is over 18!)"

Ooh good to know! Back when a bunch of us were still on Twilight Moms was when a few friends tried to get me to read the series. I'm finally picking it up! lol

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) It's graphic so be prepared. Not smutty but as my brother and son both said after reading them - they are probably the most realistic and not candy coated historical novel ever written. It's an incredible LOVE story.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "It's graphic so be prepared. Not smutty but as my brother and son both said after reading them - they are probably the most realistic and not candy coated historical novel ever written. It's an i..."

See I'm sold right there on what your brother and son said. I love realistic, historical novels. Plus an incredible love story is a huge bonus.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) It's gritty just because it does not pretend that all those beautiful ladies at court in silk gowns all smell good. LOL And really shows what lack of modern medicine meant to those people - and the lack of modern anything. Anxious to hear what you think.

Staci I couldn't explain it better myself. I have read and reread them numerous times. The audiobooks are amazing! I love hearing the names pronounced correctly. I had several of them wrong the first time I read it.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) As much as I love them I couldn't handle the audio. I liked hearing the names pronounced correctly too, but I found out how much I skim books. LOL And I was crying driving down the road at one part - Jamie telling Claire about Randall.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Staci wrote: "I couldn't explain it better myself. I have read and reread them numerous times. The audiobooks are amazing! I love hearing the names pronounced correctly. I had several of them wrong the first tim..."

You guys are making me that much more excited about reading this series!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I read one right after the other too - like a 7000 page book. LOL So did my son and my brother...and my daughter in law (don't know how I forgot her as she has read it more times than any of us. She can pick up Outlander and find any scene you mention.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Mocha ღ Latte wrote: "I'm glad I started off this series with this edition because it TOTALLY hooked me into the world. I couldn't help reading through the entire series one right after the other. Hope you love it!"

Oh really!?! now I'm even more excited I picked this one up. It was a total fluke the store I was in even had it. They said they only get one in every now and then. They said the series is a best seller for them.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I read one right after the other too - like a 7000 page book. LOL So did my son and my brother...and my daughter in law (don't know how I forgot her as she has read it more times than any of us. ..."

I love that your family has read this!

Staci and....Diana gabaldon just posted that she has finally sold the rights for a cable mini series or similar. I retweeted it yesterday or the day before (homemaker101)

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Staci wrote: "and....Diana gabaldon just posted that she has finally sold the rights for a cable mini series or similar. I retweeted it yesterday or the day before (homemaker101)"

NO WAY!! How awesome is that

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I have mixed feelings on it. I would love to watch ANYTHING Scottish but casting is soooo important. I already will not watch The Mortal Instruments movie because of casting. Once I love a book, I do not want my mental images ruined and it is very hard to re-read a book after watching a movie and retrieve them. For me it is impossible - found that out with Twilight. Being on many Outlander discussion lists, the fans will never agree on a Jamie!....unless there is a 6'4" red haired Scottish actor out there somewhere. LOL

Staci I used to feel the same way. just a few years ago I was able to stop comparing books to the movies or I would constantly be discouraged. Instead I attempt to look at them differently and openly. I have yet to watch a movie where I've completely agreed with casting. I'm just hoping it gets people interested in reading the novels :-)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I don't compare them as I know the books are always better. But I re-read my favorite books over and over. I lose my mental image and my feelings too if the casting is too far off. Edward in Twilight was one that totally changed my reading of the book and my feelings when reading it too. There is no way on earth I will watch City of Bones with the actor they have playing Jace. I really don't much mind what they do with most of the cast, but the main actor just has to work for me if I really care about him in the book. But that's just me. (and maybe not as I have friends and granddaughters who feel the same way)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) But back to Jamie - I sincerely hope they find the right guy as I'd love to visit his Scotland!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Staci wrote: "I used to feel the same way. just a few years ago I was able to stop comparing books to the movies or I would constantly be discouraged. Instead I attempt to look at them differently and openly. I ..."

I agree with both of you. Casting ruins it for me when books are made into movies, or tv shows etc. It's hard to separate what I picture in my head vs what I see on the big screen.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids I completely understand your comments about the TMI movie. I've had a hard time accepting Jamie as Jace. He'll never be who I picture in my head, but I've gotten better since Cassie has come out and said she's his Jace.

Outlander wise.... though I've not read the series yet, I can again see how this casting needs to be perfect for the lead or it will ruin it for a lot of people.

Staci I am very perplexed as to who they will cast as Jamie as well as Brianna. I have enjoyed Gabaldon's fb posts on the matter. She has done many polls for the characters. Enjoy!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Regarding TMI - it isn't like any author is going to do anything but totally agree with the casting of their book. It is not in their best interest nor in the best interest of the movie to do other than say they love it. I can't offhand think of any actor who would be worse. But then I don't have to go see it. Maybe I am better off anyway. Because of her writing I have such a vivid picture in my mind of all of the characters as well as the settings.
I too have followed all the possibilities for Jamie - some of whom would have been good ten years ago. I have the DVD's for the BBC series Sharpe and back when it was made Sean Bean would have been perfect. I think of it every time I watch it - but too many years too late.

Malissa Wow, I had never even heard of this series but after all your comments I MUST read it. Doesn't hurt that I'm currently addicted to all thins Scottish ;-). Once again MundieMoms you have sold me on another book. I don't know if I should thank you or not...my list is pretty long these days :-)

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Malissa wrote: "Wow, I had never even heard of this series but after all your comments I MUST read it. Doesn't hurt that I'm currently addicted to all thins Scottish ;-). Once again MundieMoms you have sold me on ..."

LOL I don't know if I should cheer over you adding another book to your collection or run in shame. ;)