Sharon Redfern's Reviews > Getting Over Mr. Right: A Novel

Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby

Jul 15, 12

Read in July, 2012

There isn’t a woman who hasn’t been dumped by her boyfriend that wouldn’t like to do some of the things Ashleigh does in this book. Fortunately, for most of us common sense prevails and we settle for wine or chocolate. Ashleigh has no such scruples. After a two and a half year relationship with Michael, she discovers that her Mr. Right has other ideas and finds out the relationship is over via a Facebook status change. When she finally corners Michael and he drops the bad news on her, Ashleigh turns into the crazy ex-girlfriend and embarks on a campaign to win him back that would make Lucy Riccardo look like a sedate person.
Ashleigh pretty much ruins her life in her pursuit of reclaiming Michael and ends up temporarily at home with her parents and annoying younger brother. Said younger brother does something to Ashleigh that ultimately is her redemption but starts off as utter humiliation. Ashleigh learns to survive and aside from one incredibly stupid lapse, moves on with her life.
I enjoyed this book even though parts of it made me want to cringe with embarrassment for the heroine. I would like to believe that a modern woman would never behave like Ashleigh does but I know it happens. Although she is sympathetic for the most part, there are a couple of times when she crosses a line and it’s hard to feel empathy with the character. I feel like Ashleigh really doesn’t learn to live her life without Michael because she matures, but rather that she has one last stupid moment and gets hit in the face with the truth.
All in all it is a cute book about dealing or not dealing with heartache and the creative ways to try and get over the loss.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Mr. Right.