ari's Reviews > The Rise of the Creative Class: And How It's Transforming Work, Leisure, Community, and Everyday Life

The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida

Mar 21, 2007

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: purveyors of society
Read in January, 2007

What I love about this book is that it got me thinking a great deal about alternatives to the standard process of having a 9-5 job. Of course, big picture, the book is about much more than that, namely the importance of these individuals in the continuing economic well-being of the U.S. However, my disputes with his thesis, that "creatives" are behind this economic growth, stem mostly from the conclusions that he draws from his data, and the breadth of personal anecdotes that he uses to prove his point. "I mean, jesus, I bike a lot, and other creatives do too. We're saving this country every time we bike." (Paraphrasing, of course)

Interestingly enough, the book has a paradoxical effect. Instead of making me want to move somewhere where perhaps rent is cheaper and be a pioneer of some new cultural movement in an up and coming place, Florida explains why these places are so inhospitable to "our kind" and thus makes me want to stick to NYC, SF, Cambridge, Austin and like-minded places. Now who's going to move there to start all of these movements?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of the Creative Class.