Anna's Reviews > When There is Hope

When There is Hope by Jane Goodger

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: romance-chick-lit
Read in July, 2012

This is one of the best romance books I've ever read. I think other romance authors should read it and maybe then they finally understand that it's possible to write a very enjoyable book without the heroine being a wimpy, silly crybaby and the hero being a dim-witted, cynical scoundrel.

I was incredibly happy to find this book did not include:

- blushing virgins
- the oh-so-wicked rakes suddenly becoming angels in flesh
- the helpless, supposedly charmingly feminine creatures unable to articulate their thoughts clearly (if they even have them)
- stupid misunderstandings that characters could have prevented by simply talking to each other
- illogical, totally implausible and annoying twists of plot needed only to make the book lengthier

Instead of that, the book featured a lovely, self-sufficient, down-to-earth heroine with huge reserves of optimism who refused to give up in any circumstances, however bad those might be. A refreshing change from all the damsels in distress I normally read about :)

Other than that, there is everything I like in an entertaining book: it's easy to read, it's moving, the characters are likeable, the plot is fast-paced and - cherry on the cake - there's time travel. A real treat!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When There is Hope.