Alisha Marie's Reviews > Come Closer

Come Closer by Sara Gran

Jan 06, 09

bookshelves: horror
Read in November, 2008

I read "Come Closer" in one day (it was an exceptionally short read) and in broad daylight. And while I was reading it, I was thinking "yeah, good story, interesting, creepy, but not downright scary." All along I was thinking that it wouldn't affect me the way other books/movies about possession would (The Exorcist traumatized me severely as a kid. I kept thinking that if I slept in my bed it would start shaking and I would be possessed. Yes, yes, I had an extremely active imagination like most eleven year olds, not much has changed now that I'm twenty). So, I went to bed without fear thinking that I was going to be fine.

Cut to me at 2:00 am terrified because I kept hearing taps in my room that were extremely loud and were apparently coming from absoulutely nowhere (Amanda kept hearing taps in her house as she was slowly getting possessed), so naturally, I got up, turned on my light, to examine this new development in my room. It ended up being my heater.

The point of this review is to tell anyone who likes horror stories to pick this up even if it isn't gory or Stephen-King-like-horror. It's still a freaky little novel that creeps up on you. And to those who don't like horror, you should check this out because it's not really out-and-out horror. But just creepy enough to give you a taste of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Closer.