Shelley's Reviews > The Flower Bowl Spell

The Flower Bowl Spell by Olivia J. Boler

Jul 15, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal, fantasy
Read in July, 2012

The Flower Bowl Spell is a fantasy/paranormal blend with a smidge of romance and features a Chinese American witch called Memphis Zhang. The story is written in a first person point of view.

Memphis Zhang hasn’t practiced witchcraft for some time, lapsing after one of her friends dies. She works as a reporter and writes articles on music, movies and other entertainment, attending concerts and interviewing band members. One day she sees a fairy while on the subway, jolting her back onto a witchy path.

Olivia Boler has written a strong protagonist in Memphis. She struggles with the sudden sightings of fairies, unable to communicate directly with them and not understanding what they want. She’s a loyal friend and when another childhood friend arrives and pleads with her to look after her daughters, Memphis caves. I liked Memphis—she’s the type of person any of us would be happy to call a friend. She’s both funny and kind and sometimes sarcastic. A well-rounded character.

With each chapter, the story unfolds, the author foreshadowing and giving us clues as to what is going on with the plot. There were a couple of places where I felt the pace slowed a little, but I kept reading and the last part of the book really hooked me in, and I couldn’t turn the pages quickly enough. The story ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, letting us know there will be more adventures with Memphis, but the threads of this plot are all gathered together neatly.

I enjoyed The Flower Bowl Spell and recommend it to any reader who enjoys stories with a paranormal setting of witches and fairies, a suspense element and an engaging heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flower Bowl Spell.