Jennifer's Reviews > Keeping the Castle

Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, teen
Read in July, 2012

At the age of seventeen, beautiful Althea Crawley must marry well in order to support her mother and her little brother. Her home, a crumbling castle, is in complete disarray, and her stepsisters refuse to help with the repairs or upkeep. When Lord Boring arrives in their town, Althea devises a way to ensnare him in marriage. The only hiccup in the plan is Mr. Fredericks, Lord Boring's clumsy cousin, who manages to get in Althea's way at every turn. Althea herself never fails to remind us about how beautiful she is; while she may have good intentions, she comes off as manipulative and selfish throughout most of the book without ever really redeeming herself. There are a few gems in the book, especially when Althea demands to know why it is acceptable that men marry for beauty, but women can't marry for wealth. Althea's own stepsisters were also amusing in their wickedness. Kindl works hard to imitate the wit and irony that Austen managed so capably, and fans of Regency romances may also enjoy this book. I may have to read more of Austen novels and Regency romances to compare, but personally, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping the Castle.