Lisa (Badass Bookie)'s Reviews > The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf

The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina

Jul 31, 12

Read from July 14 to 20, 2012

The Short Story? - This one took me by utter surprise. I still can't believe how much I enjoyed it! The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is definitely one of my favourite YA dystopians that I've read this year! Bringing YA dystopian together with elements of the Dreaming ( aboriginal legends), The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is a show of fresh talent with an authentic narrative voice and a intriguing plot! Kwaymullina's debut is absolutely breath-taking!

The Long Story? - To be honest I had no idea this was a dystopian YA. The blurb and title and cover are all so sneaky! I went into this novel expecting some kind of paranormal romance with a wolf pack. I WAS WRONG. The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is such a beautifully written story. The premise of the novel is quite unique as this dystopian society does have a supernatural touch. The "outlaws" are people who have been gifted with special talents. I also loved how the author brought some of her indigenous heritage into the novel. She has used parts of the Dreaming to explain the back story for the novel and she's also kind of incorporated australia in general into the novel which is something I loved! It's so unique and combined with the refreshingly authentic narrative voice, I definitely recommend this one to EVERYONE! The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is something special indeed!

The characterisation was great. Ashala Wolf was a unique character. Firstly, she was an indigenous australian and I really enjoyed that perspective of the novel as YA novels seem to never feature characters with different coloured skin tones. I also loved her personality. She was fierce, loyal, kind and more than anything readers can connect with her. The pain she has endured makes her more human, more like us. I also really liked Justin, initially he came off as a little bit of a jerk which I guess is how the author has chosen to portray him but as the novel progresses, I felt myself forming a bond with this beautiful boy! Other notable characters include Ember, Georgia and Jaz. All very wonderful characters!

In a nutshell, The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is definitely one novel you don't want to miss out on! Not only is it Aussie, it's dystopian WITH an australian twist! Fantastic characters, wonderful plot and beautifully written. Kwaymullina is a brilliant writer with a authentic and refreshingly YA voice, I can't wait to see what she has install for us next! The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is a phenomenal debut!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf.

07/16/2012 page 78
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah How is you liking Ashala??? I read the first two chapters and put it down to read something else.

Lisa (Badass Bookie) I LOVE IT! OMG, it's really amazing, I'm 3/4 of the way through!