Roy Klein's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Oct 21, 12

Read from July 31 to October 20, 2012

Since it took me forever to get through this book, I began equating my sessions with the book as sessions with a private behavioral psychologist. Since the book is jam packed with thought provoking information, I could only digest small chunks of it at a time, comparing the learned insights with my own experiences and where I can apply the lessons they provide.

In two words, I can only describe this book as life changing.
If you are at all into life hacks, this book is the one to rule them all - life hacks regarding your own brain. The main premise is an examination of how our brain makes sense of and attempts to make choices in a constantly shifting, chaotic reality, and what kinds of systematic mistakes it usually makes due to the methods it uses to operate. In other words, the book clearly defines and demonstrates how your brain can be fooled. These systematic mistakes are equated to visual illusions: Where you see a static image that seems to be 'moving' due to the way your brain interprets the vision. You know it's not moving but can't help but seeing it. In the same way, the brain has 'mental illusions'. The book teaches why they exist, how to identify them, and suggests way to circumvent them.

Reading this book is a project, so be sure to approach it with plenty of patience. If you have any interest in improving your thought process and subsequently your life, it's definitely a worthy project.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.