Monsicha Hoonsuwan's Reviews > I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read on July 14, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I gave this book four star because I knew what I wanted from this book, and I got exactly that: the humor, the light-hearted romance, the characters I would fall in love with and the sense of empowerment. Especially the sense of empowerment.

It's chick-lit. I don't expect it to have a twisty, mind-blowing plot, yet the story includes subtle mystery that keeps the pages turning. I don't know when was the last time I read a book in a day. Not in the past two years, I'm afraid. And this book just made my day so much, much better.

It's what happens when you can relate to the characters, I suppose. What Kinsella does is weaving together characters that are so charming, quirky, but relatable and relevant. Poppy is insecure and wants to be liked by everyone. She hates confrontation, which is one of the main drivers in the series of unfortunate events. Who doesn't have this problem? I do, and I'm sure a lot of people do as well. Which explains why I felt like crying the whole time I was reading the book—even if Kinsella meant it to be funny. Darn I could see myself digging deeper and deeper holes just to cover my own mistakes. In the end I was so inspired when Poppy decided to stand up for herself and confront the situation instead of running away.

Oh, and the cellphone being your life thing. Tell me that isn't true!

The only problem I have with this book is the character development. Perhaps I've spent too much time reading A Song of Ice and Fire series and am spoiled by how the characters make sense: what they do, their relationships, their dialogues. As much as Poppy is multidimensional, Magnus is so flat. Sam is half believable half inexplainable. His actions sometimes don't make sense, even when Kinsella provided the reasons behind his character development afterwards. Why is he quite well-liked at his company when he seems to not be a good leader who cares about his subordinates and co-workers. Is it just because he's smart and successful? Little things like that bother me.

In the end I like the book. Just wish it was a little longer so I could find out what happened beyond the ending scene (that made Poppy seemed like such a bad person. I'm not sure if that ever happens people will side with Poppy and not Magnus.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Got Your Number.