Tiffany's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

2741932
Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: action, fantasy, 2012, aussie-lit, award-winning, favorite-series
Read from July 14 to 17, 2012

I'm just completely blown away by Melina Marchetta's writing ability. She's really well known among the contemporary YA world (as seen when Jellicoe Road received the Printz Award). A lot of people were very heasitant when Marchetta decided to take a dip in fantasy writing. I'll admit that i was more than a bit doubtful when I picked up Finnikin of the Rock.

There is no doubt now about Melina's truly staggering range of writing. Finnikin of the Rock is definitely on my good side, when it comes to fantasy writing. I hate to say that I tend to stray away from reading fantasy novels because they just become slow and laborious to me. I suppose it comes with the genre, but it bothers me to no end. I was more than a little frustrated with Finnikin's love life (at times it was so achingly drawn out that I was tempted to bang my head on the nearest wall), but I must commend Melina Marchetta for keeping with the story and pulling real meaning from it. Things about optimism and family and self-worth and great profound things that are just as important in the real world as they are in the world of Skuldenore. Oh. And she never killed anyone off without a reason. And for that alone, I love Melina Marchetta.

So maybe some people (ahem, me) didn't like the idea of a contemporary author suddenly switching gears and writing fantasy. But as Melina says, "I was told often that I couldn't write fantasy unless I had read all the greats and knew the conventions well, but I think the first step to writing good fantasy is knowing this world we live in well. I wanted to look closely at that world -- where loss of faith, loss of homeland and identity, displacement of spirit, and breakdown of community are common -- because these are the scenes in today's media that affect me the most. In this sense, the book is a search for identity in the same way that my other novels are." She's absolutely right, and that's why I am riding the Aussie-Author Fan Train. And I don't really want to get off of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.