travelgirlut's Reviews > Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon

Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

Maybe 2.75 stars. I'm a Downton Abbey fan, and since I'm having to wait until January for season 3, I needed something else to do besides rewatch seasons 1 and 2 again. So I found this book and read it. It was fun to learn about the real people who lived in the manor house used in the show at the same time period covered. Who knew they were actually famous? The Earl of Carnarvon was partners with Howard Carter when they discovered King Tut's tomb! Pretty cool! Also, the house being turned into a hospital really happened in real life.

On the flip side, this book could have used a bit heavier hand from the editor. Things were all a bit of a jumble. Times jumped around, names were tossed out all higgledy piggledy with no real reason for them to be there, and some facts were repeated in multiple places in the book. Also, things are all described in a very positive manner, so much so that it starts to seem suspect. I would hazard some not so positive things have been glossed over and left out. I just had to push on an ignore these things in order to get some enjoyment from the book. So it was an interesting read, but just be warned it's not a well-polished book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey.