Shannon's Reviews > The Gray Wolf Throne

The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima

Jul 16, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from July 14 to 15, 2012

I have never been as nervous reading a book as I was while reading The Gray Wolf Throne. I honestly thought I was going to throw up at one point because my nerves were that far over the edge. I have this habit of avoiding things that make me nervous and uncomfortable so throughout the two days I spent reading this, I spent my time as such: breathe in, read fervently, put Kindle down, breathe out, walk away, fiddle with this or that, annoy my cat, run back to Kindle and begin reading to see what the heck happened while I was away for 2 minutes. Repeat. I felt like this book was The Neverending Story for me. You know, that book/movie where the book is talking to the boy (shout out, Bastian!) as he reads and he ends up being actively part of saving the world (Fantasia, holla!)? Cinda Williams Chima is an amazing, amazing writer to be able to accomplish that!

The action in the first 1/3 of the book was like a boulder rolling down a mountain: constantly picking up speed with no chance of slowing down in sight. After the action slows (only a bit, which was much needed for my frazzled mental state), the story unfolds in a wonderfully intricate way. This person was related to that person who reminded someone of another person who happened to have "walked out" with that other person. It reminded me at times of a high fantasy soap opera. But, if fantasy soap operas are wrong, I don't want to be right. By keeping the story lines tied between the characters we already know, it prevented the book from getting too confusing with all the different groups and characters.

The only thing that bothered me at a teeny, tiny bit was Raisa's courtship of multiple guys at once. I realize that's all part of the court intrigue, but I really wanted her to just focus on Han even though that wasn't possible...yet. Something tells me that the next book may be the wish to my command. It did, however, make for interesting reading as she juggled multiple suitors, each with their own agenda, and then trying to figure out what that agenda was exactly (I still don't get Micah). All that said, I'm still Team Amon even though that ship has sailed. I always want what I can't have...kinda like Raisa!

This was such a wonderful book. I'm already counting down the days until book 4. I hope its 5,000 pages long so I can read it for days and days and days so I never have to leave the Seven Realms.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gray Wolf Throne.

07/14/2012
34.0% "BONES! This book is uh-mazing."
07/15/2012
100.0% "I read this 500+ page book in 2 days. Yes, it was that good."
show 1 hidden update…

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, you reminded me that I had planned to read book 2 in this series soon. I loved book 1.

Shannon Doooo it! She really develops the characters in Book 2. Plus, it's set in a not-as-enchanting-but-still-cool Hogwarts of the Seven Realms. If nothing else, read book 2 to get to book 3. It's action packed!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks, I will!

Dave Shannon!!!!! Book4 "The Crimson Crown" is out!!!!!! I just ordered it!!!!! Ahhhhhh!

Shannon I know!!! I'm going to try and read it next. I've been stressed out by school lately, so I want to make sure I'm nice and relaxed whenever I read it. SO EXCITED!

Dave OMG school has taken over my life!!! I'm so over it!!! I just a want a cold fall day to read!!!! Is that to much to ask?

Shannon I AGREE!!!!