Julie's Reviews > Wildwood Dancing

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Feb 22, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2009, from-library
Recommended to Julie by: Found it on GoodReads, then at the library
Recommended for: fairy tale fans, fantasy fans
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

This was an excellent fairy tale! Setting it in Transylvania gave it a very intriguing backdrop. The main character, Jena, is sensible and intelligent (even though she misses some obvious facts!), and is doing her best to protect her four sisters while her father is away recuperating from a serious illness.

The prose is very dense and there is a lot going on, but it never got boring or overwhelming. The five girls' trips to the Dancing Glade (obviously an interpretation of the Twelve Dancing Princesses story), Tati's perhaps-ill-advised relationship with the pale, mysterious Sorrow, and Jena's abiding friendship with her frog, Gogu (whose thoughts she can hear, by the way), all play out in interesting and satisfying ways. Cezar is a maddening villain, partly because it's not just happening because his own nature makes him a tyrant, but because the society at the time gave him a tyrant's power, and there's very little the girls can do about it despite the beliefs of their forward-thinking father.

I really enjoyed the fact that Marillier often hints at things JUST enough that we can understand what is really going on, even if Jena doesn't get it yet. It didn't feel like she was smacking me in the face with it, but I was definitely reading a lot more into several occurrences than Jena was.

Oh, and I loved Gogu. :) He added just a touch of humor without it going too far.

I'd definitely recommend this book, and look forward to checking out more by Juliet Marillier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildwood Dancing.

02/21/2009 page 165
40.54% "Really into this so far."