Emma Sea's Reviews > Inferno

Inferno by Scarlet Blackwell

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: law-enforcement, mystery
Read in July, 2012

I hugely enjoyed this book, and I give it five stars, but man, it's a weird hybrid.

Awesome sex. Hot, hard, I'm gonna push you over that desk and fuck you until you scream sex. An actual plot! A good one! And long! Hours and hours of happy reading. And a wonderfully nuanced and believable female secondary character who actually functions within the story as more than a romantic confidant.

Well worth the price.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inferno.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Simsala Spot on, Emma! ;-)
Talking about overboard...
Try Secondhand Heart

message 2: by MandyM (last edited Jul 17, 2012 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

MandyM I loved her comedy series (Just Desserts) but haven't had any success with her serious contemporaries. Always struggled to believe the characters/story. Quite a few people like this one so I'll give her another go.

Fairy / Anna I read some reviews about books by this author and many of them have one thing in common. People think that her books are specific, sometimes not in a good way... I wonder what I would think about this particular story, cause I really like mystery & cops in M/M books :)
I hope that I will enjoy it, cause it's really sounds promising and interesting.

message 4: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I seconded what Sims said, Emma. Blackwell can go way overboard, offering you prick characters that you want to kill (or at least throw your ereader). When she gives drama, she gives drama. Sometimes not in a good way *lol*.

message 5: by Ery (new) - added it

Ery Really? And just when I'd given up on her...

Emma Sea Simsala wrote: "Talking about overboard...Try Secondhand Heart"

Wait, so you're saying Secondhand Heart is MORE overboard with the love than Inferno? Because I'm not sure I could take more than that. . .

@ Ami: OMG I wanted to throw a shoe at Dante so many times. Loved him though!

@ Erica: I have zero history with Blackwell so I don't know if this is usual, or if you'd like it. But it was so entertaining. The sex! The bruising! The biting! The murders! The rent boys' clothing! The back room! Phew.

P.S. After reading that post by Aleksandr Voinov now I know bruising is a signature of m/m: I never knew.

ElaineY Liked your review, Emma:) You were spot-on describing the over-the-top saccharine scenes but I've never watched Twilight so can't compare there.

I don't care for cross-dressing even if it's for a fancy dress event so I did struggle a little with that. It's not as if Zach was a twink or slightly effeminate and wouldn't look out of place in a chiffon skirt. He's 37 years old (almost decrepit to the Inferno crowd!) and I'd not seen a single effeminate bone in him throughout the entire story...so this macho cop dressed as a fairy-with-wings was a little too much...snigger:P

Emma Sea ElaineY wrote: "Liked your review, Emma:) You were spot-on describing the over-the-top saccharine scenes but I've never watched Twilight so can't compare there."

I watched Twilight on a plane and it was really entertaining, and perfect for that kind of viewing, when you don't want anything too mentally draining. It was good like a good kill-the-cast-off-one-by-one horror, where you end up mentally shouting at the characters "Why are you doing that??!".

The film after that was Up. Now I don't know if you've watched that, but I thought it was supposed to be a light hearted comedy. I had no idea I would be BAWLING MY EYES OUT in the first three minutes! Huge blubbery tears, sobbing, snot; the whole shebang. And no tissues. My seat-neightbour asked if I was travelling to attend a funeral (which actually, if I had been, would have just made me cry more).