Jenn (Booksessed)'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Aug 25, 12

Read from July 14 to 20, 2012

I really wanted to read this book because I was curious as to what all the hype about the book was about. I'm really happy that Lola emailed me the files because this book was completely worth the hype for me.

I was intrigued by this one because I don't think that Tris is flaky or naive (I've heard a lot of arguments for both). I think that she is in the difficult position of rethinking everything that she has been taught. Plus there's that whole monkey wrench thing that she can't acknowledge in front of other people because you know, it could be life-threatening.

I do think that she misses some very obvious things, but like I said, she has a lot going on.

There are so many characters to love and so many characters to hate in this as well as so many characters to love. It's made me think of The Hunger Games a little bit but not nearly as brutal, which is saying a lot.

I find the idea of a fearscape effing terrifying. I have no idea what mine would involve (I'm kind of a wuss) but just the thought that there is a serum that can get in your head and "trap" you in this scenario of your biggest fear is disturbing on so many levels.

Then of course there is Four. I'm not sure how I feel about him. He's an interesting character and very complex, but I'm torn on whether he's "oh so dreamy" or not. I do love a slow burn though. I think it may take reading Insurgent (book 2 in the series) to really decide whether or not I like him completely.

One of the things that I really liked about the book was this whole idea that you can decide your faction fate. Similar to trying to figure out what house you'd belong to at Hogwarts. I would like to think that I belong with the intellectuals (see the above fearscape remarks) but at the same time, the reader gets to see all the flaws of the different factions. (I also think that I would fit into Ravenclaw, for those wondering).

This review is kind of all over the place but basically, I really like the series; it both intrigues and terrifies me. I am a bit unsure about how I feel about Four, but am really looking forward to reading Insurgent.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

07/14/2012 page 47
10.0% "Not too far in, but enjoying it so far. The audiobook is great."
07/15/2012 page 217
45.0% "It's so intense listening to this book rather than reading it."
07/15/2012 page 251
52.0% "This is getting SO GOOD!! I hate Peter so much. I hope bad things happen to him."
show 2 hidden updates…